Wrap A Cake In Chocolate Layers, Pictorial!!

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 30 Apr 2013 , 4:18pm by alanajonesmann

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:14pm
post #91 of 202

Thanks so much for the great tutorial. This I have to try!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:19pm
post #92 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcitycakes

I have a Groom's Cake to do this weekend. It is choc cake, choc filling, choc icing and choc strawberries. And this would be AWESOME to add to it, BUT it's square. Can I do this with a square cake? If so, do you have any tips for me. Also I wouldn't be able to get that acetate. It would have to be parchment paper.

starcitycakes, be sure to let us know how your square cake turns out. I am doing a chocolate, chocolate, chocolate groom's cake at the end of April - complete with chocolate covered strawberries. I am planning on a square or hexagon ... the b&g don't care as long as it is chocolate. I have thought about cutting tiles out of the chocolate or doing chocolate cigars so that I wouldn't have to try to turn the corners. I would love to hear how yours turns out.

~~Martha

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:50pm
post #93 of 202

Yes, you can do a square cake. If you look in my photos, the first one is square. I just made "panels" of chocolate the right size and attached them. But, I don't see any reason you couldn't just wrap around a corner!
Like I said, I used parchment paper. I just folded it over into thirds to make it easier to handle.

Jodie

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #94 of 202

Jodie...OOH Ok I see. Folding it would make it stronger and I would have never thought of that myself haha.... I was thinking maybe just do it in sections but then I would have a seam at the corners. So I may just try to wrap it, I can make my DH help me icon_biggrin.gif

MBT...I will definatly put a picture on here...

JodieF Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:22am
post #95 of 202

starcitycakes....can't wait to see the picture! icon_biggrin.gif

JodieF Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #96 of 202

Starcitycakes......I just came back to this thread and saw I said I used parchment....I used freezer paper....duh!
I'm sorry about that! I don't know where my brain is!

Jodie

starcitycakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #97 of 202

ok...I can get some of that icon_biggrin.gif. I think I'm gonna experiment this afternoon. I don't want to wait till Friday night to do it and then mess it up. So if I get it right tonight I'll post pics of my practice cake.

starcitycakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #98 of 202

I have a question about CUTTING this..will it crumble and fall apart and stuff?? I don't want it to make a big mess for whoever is going to be cutting the cake at the wedding.

JodieF Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #99 of 202

No..mine didn't crumble. I just cut through the chocolate. The worst that happened was the chocolate came off the buttercream.

Jodie

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:16am
post #100 of 202

Wow! Cool. Thanks so much for sharing!

JodieF Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:59pm
post #101 of 202

We all need to thank Sarsi, for posting her tutorial! icon_biggrin.gif

Jodie

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #102 of 202

Thanks for the play by play. That is good to know for future cheese cake desserts i make. I always like giving it an extra flare.

Nicki84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicki84 Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #103 of 202

Thank you for sharing thumbs_up.gif

Nicki

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:38am
post #104 of 202

that lloks like fun, and really delicious, thanks for sharing.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:44pm
post #105 of 202

Thank you so much for the info on how to do this. I tried a practice cake today. THe first attempt didn't set up enough and looked ugly. I peeled it off and did it again. Much better. The seam needs to be alittle neater where the acetate was pieced. The "real" one will have some chocolate clay decorations on the top and sides. Hopefully I can hide anything too ugly. Thanks again. Never thought I could do as well as I've done. Time to eat it.

Linda

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:05am
post #106 of 202

Sorry you all!! I've been moving!! I'm so glad so many of you have tried it and it worked good!!!

JodieF- What is that cake I see in your Avatar??? BEAUTIFUL!! icon_smile.gif I will need too check it out in your photos soon!! And thank you so much for answering all these questions when I wasn't here!! Keep up the good work, but I do hope to be on CC more now that we're settled a little better!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sarsi Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:22am
post #107 of 202

I did this for a wedding in December...

I'm sorry I'm so behind on all the posts and questions you all have asked!!! Oh, and no, you probably haven't seen this technique anywhere because I'm pretty sure I'm the one to discover it...or at least as far as I know!! LOL.. or maybe someone has and just keep it to themselves!! I think it could be VERY popular!! It doesn't have a name...sorry!! icon_smile.gif Lets see..."The Sarsi Wrap" YESSSS!!! LOL

This cake is ummm..wow, did it too long ago!! I htink its 14", 12", 10", and 8"...

You can see a close up in "my photos" Take a look!! icon_smile.gif
LL

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #108 of 202

That is OUTSTANDING ! Fabulous job !

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #109 of 202

I absolutely love it. Really eye-catching, elegant, pretty, unique, appetizing....everything about it is a knock out! Job WELL done!!

Ang0306 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ang0306 Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:19pm
post #110 of 202

I want to try this icon_smile.gif I want to make sure I'm using the right kind of chocolate. I have tried to use melted choc chips for other projects and they never set up, are you using baking chips like Wilton that are specifically for candy making? Does it need to stay refrigerated after the choc is put on? PS, I live in FL, it is hot and humid....
Thanks!!

Sarsi Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:33am
post #111 of 202

Thank you so much everyone!!

Ang0306- I always just use Chocolate Chips!! If it is really hot, I would say yes, it needs to stay in the fridge or an air conditioned room.... if you're worried about the chocolate chips, you can use tempered chocolate...

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:48am
post #112 of 202

Wow! This looks like so much fun- thanks for posting the tutorial and that wedding cake is amazing!

Sarsi Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:55am
post #113 of 202

Your wqelcome, and THANK YOU!!

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:37am
post #114 of 202

I will be working on my first chocolate wrap for a baby shower in the next few weeks. I have seen chocolate transfers, but I'm wondering if you couldn't take one color of chocolate melts and write or draw on the parchment, let that harden up and then put a second color on over top of that as the background. Will that work? Does anyone know?

Could you even take the oil candy colors and using a paint brush draw stripes or something on the parchment and immediately pour the chocolate on top of it so it adheres?

Or, would it be easier to do a plain chocolate wrap and then use the candy colors to paint on the chocolate after the cake has been wrapped?

Thanks!

Sarsi Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #115 of 202

I have done white chocolate on the acetate, and then done brown chocoalte on top, and it didn't work very well. The white didn't hold its shape. I will try to attach a photo to this post so you can see!

If you painted on the acetate first, then put the chocolate on, I'm sure it will get really smeared since you need to spread out the chocolate and smooth it out and things.

I think the best way would be to paint it on afterward. You could even pipe chocolate, buttercream, or royal onto it after its cooled..
LL

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #116 of 202

I don't know if any of you saw my chocolate wrap cake I posted awhile back, you can also use an imprint mat to make your chocolate wrap with. I got mine from Kitchen sweet art. They have all different patterns. I just measure how tall and how much around to tape the pieces together. Imelt down the chocolate discs, and pour over the imprint sheet. Level, wrap around cake, pop in resfrig and 10 minutes later just peel the impression mat off. Very easy.Pic is in my photos I can't seem to figure out how to upload it to this page

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #117 of 202

Wow! That's awesome. What is acetate? Where do I get it?

Sarsi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #118 of 202

Acetate is a thin plastic sheeting. You can buy it at www.countrykitchensa.com

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #119 of 202

Thanks! Your cakes are amazing! It's nice of you to share your time with us to show us how to do it!

kannu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kannu Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:10am
post #120 of 202

Thank you very much...Sarsi For Sharing it..

Great Job...

http://www.birthdaycake.co.in

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%