Cheesecake As Wedding Cake

Decorating By Briarview Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 1:32pm by karateka

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:23am
post #1 of 17

I have had a request from a bride to have one layer mudcake and the next layer a cheesecake. These are to be stacked and covered in icing. I'm afraid I have never heard of such a thing so am asking here to see what CCr's think. To me a cheesecake is a crumb base and a soft filling. Can't imagine that as a wedding cake. Can anyone tell me what they do and if there is such a thing that is suitable as a cheesecake. Thanks

16 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:26am
post #2 of 17

Ive had a few requests as well and after doing some research decided not to do them.
1stly it cant be stacked, spoke to someone that tried and the whole thing shifted. Also it cant be covered in icing as far as I could find out. Lastly it needs to be in a fridge for as long as possible, you can apparently only set it up juts before cutting. to me that is a lot of trouble and worries that I can do without.
HTH!!

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:27am
post #3 of 17

I have heard of that but have never done it myself. There was someone on cc that bakes cheesecakes and decorates them and they look awesome. I'll do some research and see if I could find her.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:39am
post #4 of 17

Okay I couldn't find her but hopefully she will see this post. You can google cheesecake wedding cakes and find a lot of pictures and check the websites too. I would do it for you but I am on my way to get dressed for school. I will be back later tonight. Good luck though. icon_smile.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:50am
post #5 of 17

Look for cheesecake wedding cakes in the gallery. You'll find several. There are some specific recipes people have used for wedding cakes as well. And, there are certain stands some people prefer when making one, and different takes on types of icing to cover with.

I'm hoping one of those folks will speak up for ya.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:28am
post #6 of 17

I'm not familiar with cheesecakes as wedding cakes, but have seen restaurants and recipes that use a regular cake layer as a base for cheesecake, or put a cheesecake layer between two cakes.

That would eliminate the crumb base for you.

Good luck

weddingcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingcake1 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:50am
post #7 of 17

I have done quite a few of the wedding cheesecakes go to my pics and see. you can't stack them and yes i did frost some of them use a tip that's all I did they are beautiful. I make the cheesecakes that have to be baked with foil around the pan and put in water in a larger pan they usually have to bake 2 hours on 200 degrees. then they have to set in the fridge for at least 12 hrs before you remove them from the pans.

weddingcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingcake1 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:56am
post #8 of 17

Here is one go to my pics to see the others
LL

dream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 17

Check out www.elegantcheesecakes.com

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 17

My wedding cake six years ago was cheesecake. I hired a local decorator that specializes in cheesecake. I took a cake picture from a magazine and she did it exactly like the picture mag. It tasted real good.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:05am
post #11 of 17

Thank you everyone but the problem is really covering the cheesecake with fondant to have it look like the mudcake and have the cake stacked. I emailed Susan from elegant cheesecakes as provide by dream and this is what she so kindly advised.
"Butter cream first then use your fondant...we use chocolate paper but the same look!!! Keep wrapped WITH PLASTIC WRAP IN FRIDGE AS IT WILL SWEAT WHEN WARMING UP! "
Not sure what she means so perhaps someone can help.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:41am
post #12 of 17

You can treat a cheese cake just like any other cake. I assume you are talking about a baked cheese cake.

I've made them as entire wedding cakes and as tiers for wedding cakes. The largest I've baked for wedding cakes is 14".

I top coat them and cover in fondant just like any other cake.

Cold fondant will sweat when removed from the fridge in a humid environment.

Typically the cheescake is 2 1/2 to 3 inches high. To make it the same height as other non cheesecake tiers, use foamcore of the proper thickness to make up the difference in heights.

sable905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sable905 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:57am
post #13 of 17

Cheesecakes can be stacked! My wedding cake was a three tier cheesecake - iced with a thin BC layer, then covered in fondant. It was absolutely elegant. Everyone at the reception said it was the best wedding 'cake' they ever had. I also just filled an order for a 11' x 15' cheesecake iced in BC because they wanted it to be decorated for a graduation party. Make sure to use a firm cheesecake recipe. If you need one, I have an awesome one that can be used. You just need to make sure it is supported correctly.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:59am
post #14 of 17

I too have made a cheesecake wedding cake that was 3 tiers, 12-8-5 iced in BC only. You can stack them, just support like you would any other tiered cake, and they need to be refrigerated of course. My husband liked the taste of the BC iced cheesecake--I made a practice one to see how it would work--but I really didn't care for it too much--to each his own!

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:16pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

I too have made a cheesecake wedding cake that was 3 tiers, 12-8-5 iced in BC only. You can stack them, just support like you would any other tiered cake, and they need to be refrigerated of course. My husband liked the taste of the BC iced cheesecake--I made a practice one to see how it would work--but I really didn't care for it too much--to each his own!

When not using fondant on cheesecake wedding cakes, I use cream cheese icing or white chocolate IMBC.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:58pm
post #16 of 17

Jules--Those would have been my choices too, but they wanted BC!!! Next time,I'll try to be more persuasive!! And let me just say that I love your quote!! Got my laugh for the day!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:32pm
post #17 of 17

You can stack a cheesecake...

Rose Beranbaum has good instructions and a recipe in The Cake Bible. I haven't tried it since I can't sell anything requiring refrigeration, but she even transported it stacked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%