What Is Your Preference?

Decorating By Bluesea Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 1:50am by Bluesea

Bluesea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluesea Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:41am
post #1 of 7

When you get cake orders, what type of cake do u make. Butter or Sponge or Pound? For all my orders, I've been making butter cake and i find that it is too rich to go with buttercream. What other types of cakes can i bake. Happy to hear any feedbacks.

Thank you.

6 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 7

In my area most want just a vanilla or a chocolate cake. Occasionally I will get one for something else but not often.

DuncanHinesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuncanHinesgirl Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 7

I know of some places who specialize in certain cake flavors and that's all they make. Yet there are others who will make whatever the client wants.

I try to utilize the cake as to it's function. When shaping and sculpting cakes, I use a firm cake recipe that I believe I found at this site. It seems that most of the time I'm using a vanilla or chocolate cake since people are most familiar with those flavors.

If I get a chance to make a cake just for me, I am a light, moist white cake girl. Most of the time though, I'm not making anything for myself. icon_cry.gif

Heaven knows I don't need to be eating any cake since I'm supposed to be watching my weight. icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Sweetly,
Marie

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 7

If you are selling your cakes and your customers are enjoying the butter cake with buttercream icing, I would stick to that. If you are getting feedback that the combinations are too rich, switch to a sponge. Pound cake might be good if you need to do a carved cake.

Bluesea Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:41am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Most of my customers are fine with chocolate cake but some did feedback that the buttercake is very rich.
Just one more question - am i ok to frost a sponge cake with buttercream?
Thanks

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:13am
post #6 of 7

You should be absolutely fine to frost a sponge with buttercream.

Bluesea Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #7 of 7

Great. Thanks Ginny

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%