Question About Baking And Freezing

Decorating By erinalicia Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 12:44am by erinalicia

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 3

I was asked to make my cousin's 16th birthday cake for the 30th of this month. She wants a 3 tiered topsy turvy cake. Because my son is going into the hospital 2 days before the party to have his trach removed I decided to go ahead and bake the cakes today and tomorrow and freeze them so that all I need to do is decorate later. I have to make the fondant sometime this week too.

My question is this: Can I fill the layers and freeze each individual tier and then ice and cover in fondant after it has defrosted or should I just freeze the cake layers and then assemble the last few days? Also should I level and then freeze or should I wait to do that too? I've done both ways, but I've never attempted a cake this big so I'm nervous about it.

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #2 of 3

.......Can I fill the layers and freeze each individual tier and then ice and cover in fondant after it has defrosted or should I just freeze the cake layers and then assemble the last few days? Also should I level.....

Yes - well that depends on the filling you are using. If it's fresh fruit, straight pudding, etc then no, that is not a good idea. But...definately you can level, fill, crumb coat then fz. if the filling is like purchased in the sleeve or b'cream etc.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #3 of 3

Thanks! It's just going to be a whipped buttercream filling. I'd just like to get as much done before my son goes into the hospital as possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%