How Much Would You Charge For This Cake???

Decorating By robinscakes Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 6:40am by xstitcher

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 10

A customer found this cake on the internet and asked me if I would do something very similar for her. The jersey will styrofoam covered in fondant and the cake beneath will be a full sheet decorated like a hockey rink. I haven't given her a quote yet, but I need to do that today. I know I'll be short-changing myself so I wanted to get some CC'ers opinions first.

I can't figure out how to attach a photo--it's not working on the attachment section. Here is the link.

http://www.jpdesserts.com/details_HockeyJersey.html

Thanks in advance.

9 replies
Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 10

What size are you consdiering a full sheet? Will the sheet be covered in fondant or BC?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 10

I'm just curious why are you already convinced you will short change yourself?

I think $300 sounds pretty good.

Be sure your foam is smooth on the edges so the fondant doesn't tear. You can sand it or something to take off the edges.

That puppy is gonna be heavy and awkward so pay more attention to your construction than the design.

I hope you have time to allow the fondant to dry really well so that when you handle it it doesn't show the finger marks.

Best of the best to you.

Do it like the great Generals say to do, "CHARGE!!!"

robinscakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 10

Sorry. It will be buttercream and approx. 18" x 30".

robinscakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 10

I've covered styrofoam before so I'm not worried about that, and I do a ton of sheet cakes, so that's not worrisome either. I know I never charge enough, so I was sure I'd charge too little for this one. This is for a woman who lives outside of my small town in an area where she's probably used to paying higher prices like the bakeries around her. I don't charge as much since I'm in a small town and people aren't used to higher prices. I certainly don't want to take advantage of her either and charge too much. I want to be fair to both me and the customer. It's usually the customer I'm very fair with, and then I end up not making enough because I'm not being fair to myself. I always make a profit, but probably not as much as I could. Just to let you know, I was thinking $220, but it seems I'm $80 short according to the first reply.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 10

I mean $220 is respectable-ish. Wait, you're doing a full sheet cake? I mean that alone is like $200.

OK how about $200 for the jersey and then add on the cost of the cake-whatever you usually charge for the sheet cake added on to $200.

I mean have ready a less costly design if she balks. That is an advanced design that is way worth at least $200 nothing doubting. Then add the cake cost. And add it on as if it was sitting under a masterpiece because it is--this ainchomommas sheet cake here.

No mercy--we are tough--we are creative genii--we are not wusses!!! Get your money lined up then get all soft & mushy when you design.

robinscakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #7 of 10

bumping this for another opinion--I want to send her an email quote in the morning

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

bumping this for another opinion--I want to send her an email quote in the morning

Second opinion:

Charge $50 for the shirt and $35 for the cake or vice versa.
Give her a 20% discount because you don't want anyone to think you overprice.
Hate yourself all night long--no extra charge.

robinscakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 10

I was asking for an honest opinion. I appreciated your previous advice, but this comment only made me feel worse about my novice in pricing .

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:40am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

I was asking for an honest opinion. I appreciated your previous advice, but this comment only made me feel worse about my novice in pricing .

I'm new at this hobby and have only made cake for my family so I don't know how much help I would be but perhaps you have an idea of how much the going rate for a serving of bc cake is in your area and charge that for the cake and for the player perhaps material and time?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%