Do Any Of You Charge By The Pound For Cookies?

Baking By sweetcravings Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 12:13am by indydebi

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 2

I was at a party last night and was talking with a neigbour who manages one of the banquet halls in the area. She was telling me how the one bakery they work with alot sells their cookies by the pound. If i remember correctly she said they charge $8.00/lb...but these are not decorated cookies just dry italian type cookies. I started thinking about it and thought that may be a good pricing idea for decorated cookies. So many cookies are odd shapes and sizes, so they vary by weight.
Any work their cookie pricing this way?? I'd love to hear about it.

We started talking about the cookies and cannolis i made for the party and she asks if i sell them. I told her we are still figuring out the details but i am seriously considering selling them. She said, "if you decide to go ahead let me know and i can help you out" thumbs_up.gif I said, "what do you mean?". She said so many people come in to book their weddings/events and are looking for someone to bake cupcakes, cakes cookies but don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Italia bakery sells alot of their wedding cakes for $1,000. I quickly jumped in and said, " while i understand they don't want to pay crazy prices, but i also don't want to be known as the 'cheap' baker". My work is difficult and time consuming and i want to be paid accordingly. She said, "oh most definitely"..and believe me the europeans will pay the money. So i was really happy that there is a potential business opportunity right in front of me. I have a major in, into one of the halls. By her work of mouth i could be really busy, really fast.
Their was a teacher there and i ran by the idea of bringing cookie samples to the teacher lounge and she thought that would be wonderful. She said they have monthly meetings and are always caterring in. Again, great info.
Overall it was a fun party but more importantly i left with some great leads on potential business and ideas.

Suz

1 reply
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:13am
post #2 of 2

Networking is what it's all about!!

I'm not sure about the decorated-cookies-by-the-pound. That's saying that all decorated cookies are "made equal" ..... but some are simple designs and some are very detailed.

For example, these cookies by JenWhitlock, which took first place at the Indiana state fair http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1248501 took WAY more time (read "more labor" ... read "higher payroll for Debi) than these dog bone cookies I did for wedding favors http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1252765

I've seen the "thumbprint" cookies sold by the pound, and some other cookies that are usually small in size, but that's about it.

If you sell cookies by the pound, be prepared to answer (every. single. time.) the question, "About how many are in a pound? About how much is that per cookie?" icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%