A Few Questions

Decorating By Ashley72183 Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm by Jocmom

Ashley72183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley72183 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 7

Whenever I bake a cake, the top (which ends up being the bottom) is very sticky and if you touch it, it comes off on your finger. In the end it doesn't matter but if I'm trying to arrange the cake on the board, it gets to be a bit of a mess. Suggestions?

Also, what do you cover your cake boards with? My first "practice cake" I made, I covered the board with foil which was fine for right then but not so much for cakes people are going to see.

Is there a thread explaining all of the cake lingo? I keep seeing BC and RI (I know what those are), etc. but I have no idea what they mean.

Sorry for all the questions. I know I will have more since I'm so new at this, so bear with me! icon_redface.gif

Thanks!
Ashley

6 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley72183

Whenever I bake a cake, the top (which ends up being the bottom) is very sticky and if you touch it, it comes off on your finger. In the end it doesn't matter but if I'm trying to arrange the cake on the board, it gets to be a bit of a mess. Suggestions?

Also, what do you cover your cake boards with? My first "practice cake" I made, I covered the board with foil which was fine for right then but not so much for cakes people are going to see.

Is there a thread explaining all of the cake lingo? I keep seeing BC and RI (I know what those are), etc. but I have no idea what they mean.

Sorry for all the questions. I know I will have more since I'm so new at this, so bear with me! icon_redface.gif

Thanks!
Ashley

Hi Ashley!

You could take a knife and cut that sticky off or a cake leveler.... but I wouldn't worry about it to much unless it creates problems. As long as it's on the bottom.

Most people use a foil of some sort, whether it is patterned or plain. For all my wedding cakes, I always cover the board in fondant. Makes it look very professional.

BC is buttercream and RI is royal icing. I'm not sure if there is a lingo section...but just ask away, we'll help!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Adrienne0317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adrienne0317 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....-2926.html

When I first found this dite, some one gave me this link. I still use it. It should help.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7

I think a "lingo" section or thread would be great for some of us newbies!

I agree with the leveler to take the "stickiness" off. Save it for cake balls or a snack. icon_smile.gif

I currently buy all my (bottom) cake boards pre-covered from a local paper/restaraunt supply company. If you search in your area and find one it will save a ton of $!

Fondant for the "special" cakes is really nice though...

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 7

In the general forum there is a sticky thread with all the CC acronyms in it http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html HTH!

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you, thank you!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 7

I was using various colored foils that I purchased from a cake supply store. They have a wide variety of colors, but I was getting bored with them. I read a suggestion here a couple weeks ago. I now cover the cake boards with crumbled tissue paper (hides the fold lines) or wrapping paper, etc. that coordinates with your cake theme. Then I cover that with clear Contact Paper. It's much cheaper and the possibilities are endless.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%