Help With Fondant Characters

Decorating By sarah0418 Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 4:11am by jess85

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:48am
post #1 of 6

I am new to cake decorating and have taken a few classes, but not one on fondant. I am attempting a sesame street cake for my son's second birthday and would like to make the characters out of fondant. What do I use as "glue" to keep the small pieces together? Any other suggestions for fondant characters would also be appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:57am
post #2 of 6

I have not tried to glue smaller pieces, but when I need to add fondant accents on a fondant-covered cake, I use either clear vanilla or a clear alcohol (vodka, everclear).

Paint a little bit on the piece to be attached and stick it on the larger piece. The alcohol in the vanilla or liquor will evaporate quickly, leaving the other piece attached.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #3 of 6

I use Gum Arabic with water you need 1 tsp of gum arabic to 1/2 cup of water.

Once mixed you keep the stuff in a jar in the fridge. It works great.

I usually just pour 1/4 to 1/2 a tsp in a cup for what I need.

Good Luck.

grannyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannyrose Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:34am
post #4 of 6

I use fondant glue - mix a little water with a little fondant and lightly brush on the piece you want to glue

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:05am
post #5 of 6

I use meringue powder mixed with a little water.

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:11am
post #6 of 6

tylose and water mixed(1/4 tsp to say 1/4 cup of water) let stand overnight preferably (will get rid of any lumps) can be used immediatly though. thin out if it gets too thick. basically the same as gum trag just cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%