Pound Cake Help ---Please.

Decorating By Price Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 12:54am by KonfectionKonnection

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:21am
post #1 of 5

I have been using the same pound cake recipe for years. (Basic pound cake, made in tube pan). It used to always come out nice. A little crusty on top, not not enough to matter. Well--- the last few times I have made this recipe The crust on top seems to pull away from the cake in places and is actually crusty enough that when I take the cake out of the pan, some of the crust falls off of the cake. Any ideas as to what is happening? I start in a cold oven and bake at 325 degrees as the recipe suggests. The recipe uses 1/2 c. crisco and 2 sticks of butter. I'm not sure, but I think I starting having this problem before the trans fat was taken out of the crisco.

I appreciate any help and suggestions. Thanks!

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #2 of 5

First check your oven temp with a reliable oven thermometer.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #3 of 5

Well...try using all butter to start with, and see if the crisco is the problem. Also, check your oven temp with an oven thermometer, if you haven't already, and maybe see if your pan is damanged.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check the oven temp. and it seems to be ok. I think I'm might just try a totally different recipe and see what happens. And definitely no Crisco.

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:54am
post #5 of 5

Just a thought--but to check the trans fat you could switch from Crisco to a store brand. I was always loyal to Criso until the change--but found my BC texture (for decorating) was much better w/ the store brand still containing trans fat. (I never thought I would be using Great Value Shortening from Wal-Mart, or trying to find something that is "worse" for you health-wise.) icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%