Waah! Runny Birthday Mess!

Decorating By sadiepix Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 4:04am by sadiepix

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:09am
post #1 of 4

Well drat.
I was making a cake in the shape of Rorshach's head (from Watchmen) for my DH's birthday tomorrow.
The cake was fine and my thick black gelatin inkblot cut-outs came out great.

Then I made the icing, which is a thick but pourable cheesecake icing/coating that is supposed to firm up when chilled from the addition of gelatin.
It is meant to be poured over and around details, and then any excess is sliced off the board later and a border is put on to cover. It should be very firm.

*sigh*
Dummy that I am, made a double batch last night and forgot to double the gelatin addition also! Realized that this morning when I went to add the details and expected a firm coating.
So it is still runny and sticky and there is no way to add detail or even fix the excess still oozing off the sides.
Luckily this one is just for us so I am not going to be running to the store tonight for more ingredients to fix it. It is still yummy, but hideous. Drat.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/ladybugsm3/cakeyrorshach2.jpg

3 replies
chelseafitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseafitz Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #2 of 4

That totally sounds like something I would do, glad it was just for your family, at least it was still yummy.
I have never made an icing like that before, it sounds interesting, will have to try it sometime!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:03am
post #3 of 4

I have never heard of an icing like you are talking about. I would really like more information about it and or a recipe. I am having a hard time trying to think what it would be like. You have really aroused my curiosity.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:04am
post #4 of 4

I PM'd you Jean. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%