Does Fresh Stawberry Filling Freeze Ok?

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm by rhopar33

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 4

I have a monster wedding cake (288 servings) this weekend and one of the tiers calls for a fresh starwberry filling. I need to get as much of this baked, decorated and into the freezer as early as I can because I work a fulltime job. I was wondering if I can go ahead and bake, decorate, and freeze the cake with the fresh cut starwberry filling? When the cake thaws will the starwberries be mushy?

Anyone with any edvice/experience on this one?

Thanks,
Rhonda

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 4

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but strawberries are something like 99% water. They will break down when fzn & get very, very mushy icon_sad.gifCan you do all the other tiers done? Certainly you can bake ahead and fz the layers.

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 4

If I were you I would bake and decorate all cakes but this one. I would decorate it the last one. Either that or sieve the fresh strawberries and mix them with italian buttercream (delish) now you can fill/decorate/freeze your cake. I use fruits mixed with butter cream for most of my cakes.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the responses. I think you've given good advice- I will bake and decorate all other layers and save the one with fresh starwberries last.

Thanks again!

Rhonda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%