Please Help With Batter Amounts...

Decorating By Jasmine33 Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm by kakeladi

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 7

...okay, so this is concerning party cakes.

I am getting conflicting info and wondering what the standard really is. On the wilton.com site ,

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

I get this info:

8" round

# of serving for 2 layers = 20,

cups of batter needed for 1 layer, 2 inches = 3 1/2

Okay so 2 make a 2 layer round 8 inch cake I need 7 cups of batter.

But the wilton 8 inch pans I have say to use 3 cups of batter for each cake! That would be 6 cups. So which is it? 6 cups or 7 cups?

It says the 6 inch round would be 2 cups batter per layer.

Also I was noticing their 12x18 measurements. They say with 2 layers of that it feeds only 72 people. I though 1 layer would feed 48 people. Is this because of the way it has to be cut?

I found another site and yes she says this is for wedding cakes but I know wilton uses the same batter amount for wedding and party they just slice the wedding cakes into more pieces.

http://www.cakedesignsbyrobin.com/Whimsical/Cake_Servings_Chart.html

Anyhow this site says something completely different.

They say 3 cups of batter for 1 6 inch layer and 5 1/2 cups batter for 1 8 inch layer.

I figured I would stick with wiltons but like I said earlier their pans say 3 cups each for 8 inches and 3/ 1/2 cups online.

icon_sad.gif

How many cups do you fill your 8 inch pans with? What about the 6 inches?

WHat about your 1/4 sheets? (I know generally it is double 1 8 inch pan.)

Thanx for any help.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 7

It is soooooooo messy to measure batter by cupsicon_sad.gif
A 1/2 cup difference isn't going to make a big differece in the finished cakeicon_sad.gif
Do you use cake mixes? It's easy to figure that....

For each 8x2" round you use about 2/3rd of one mix so for a 2 layer cake you use 1 1/2 mixes.
You can get three 6" rounds from one mix.

Another way to determine if you have enough batter in a pan is to fill them 2/3rds full.

Still another way to know how much is to fill the pan 2/3rds full w/water then pour that into a measuring cup. Make notations - maybe w/a permanant marker on the bottom or side of the pan so you remember it.

Don't call you pan a '1/4' or '1/2' sheet. Instead tell us what size the pan is. There are many people who use a 11x7 as their 1/4; others use a 12x8 and others still use a 9x13.
A 12x8 is the proper size - it matches the 1/4 sheet cakeboard & box just righticon_smile.gif That size uses one cake mix.

Oh BTW: An 8x4" round cake will serve 35-39, not the 20 you mentioned. This is based on a serving being 1"x2"x4" - which is the same amount of cake as a 2"x2"x2" serving.

Jasmine33 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 7

I am getting ready to read the rest of you message but just wanted to add in real quick, I bake from scratch.

Jasmine33 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah the wilton pan I have says 1/2 to 2/3 full. Well which is it? lol

I consider 1/4 sheet to be a 9x13 and a half a sheet to be 12x18. Thanx for your help. I think I should go measure with the water.

kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 7

You can fill 1/2 full but 2/3rds gives you a better chance of it baking up full enough. Some batters bake up/rise more than others.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 7

Jasmine33 I quit trying to figure out the different charts, and just kept up with the amount that works with each pan and mix. With you being a scratch baker that would probably be your best route , because every mix does differently. I've read some people put one box mix in a 9x13 I put two full ones, no overflow. My cakes are also a true 2 inches deep. So keep track of batter type and amount for pan, write it down til you get the perfect amounts and post it on the inside of your cabinet door closest to where you mix.

Jibbies

kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 7

Jibbies suggestions are right onicon_smile.gif
As I mentioned above, each cake recipe or mix; each flavor rises differently.
I don't remember now exactly but there was once something on (I think) Betty Crocker's site about a certain flavor cake mix yielding X# of cups and a different flavor yielding less but they both bake up to the same heigth when baked in the same size pan.
It can also make a difference where you live; is it really humid or do you live at a high elevation? That effects how much batter you use and how it will turn out.
So you can see where a 1/2 cup differece can sometimes make a difference or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%