Does Anyone Ever Get Decorator Burnout?

Decorating By wendysue Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm by sugarcheryl

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 3

I often feel like an oddball here, as I can't make more than a couple cakes a month and still enjoy the art of it! When it's an occasional type of thing, I have the best time, but if I were making cakes everyday, I don't think it would be fun anymore.

Do any of you ever get burned out? How many cakes do you all average a month? Just curious. icon_rolleyes.gif

~Wendy

2 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 3

I don't do a lot of cakes, either, but I can empathize.

Two years ago, I had one grad party after another, all with at least 100 guests. Not wanting to do just one big cake, I made a series of smaller cakes, all different designs and flavors. We're talking 3-4 cakes, rolled fondant, gumpaste flowers, fondant painting- each cake worth at least $150. It really took a lot out of me, and by the time came to do a project for a cake show, I just wasn't in the mood, so I skipped it.

Over the past few weeks, I did three birthday cakes, 12 dozen pierogies with butter and onions, and 3 large steam pans of ziti for birthday parties. And yes, again it burned me out so much that I didn't have any desire to start my cake show projects!

So, yes, even for people who don't sell cakes, the burnout is there.

And yes, I started the projects last night. I entered all categories, but I will be very happy if I can get 4 of the 12 done in time. They're due next Sunday.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 3

I haven't experience burned out and with any career or biz you have moments when you had enough. This is my second career my 1st was hair and I got burned out. I do not want to get like this with cakes. I think you have to pace your self and of course this is a very physical taxing profession after come from the hair industry it had prepared me for this. But you're not alone. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%