How Do You Make This Flower (Or Can You...)?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 4:19pm by Justbeck101

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 11

Hi,
Can anyone tell me of how to make the "Fresia flowers"? They are my favorite and I thought it would be beautiful, and delicate, on a wedding cake that I'm making. This flower would also match their wedding colors ...

I have never seen one done in either fondant or BC... so if anyone could also attach a pic of one made, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks SO much in advance. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 11

There are many who have made it in gumpaste (that's why you hav en't seen it in fondant.)

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 11
Justbeck101 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 11

Just do a search for it in gum paste

kellertur Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:06am
post #5 of 11

I meant to write "gum paste" not fondant, so sorry about that.

What I am actually ooking for is a tutorial on how to actually make the flower. I could try to wing it... but I've not made gumpaste flowers before... so might end up freak-ish instead of "pretty". I'll keep looking.

thank you for any help. icon_smile.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:11am
post #6 of 11

I don't know where you live but you might check your library for books on gumpaste flowers.

kellertur Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:00am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for your replies. The brides colors are lilac-ish.. (which would match the purple freesia flowers). So I'll keep checking.

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:23am
post #8 of 11

When you do a search, you'll need to spell it correctly: freesia.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:10am
post #9 of 11

I've never made freesias, but I've done other flowers with that texture. The cheapest way to achieve that on fondant or gumpaste is to buy some cornhusks (near the tortilla mix in the grocery store). Dust the corn husk with cornstarch and lay it on top of the fondant or gumpaste, roll over it once, and you've got that texture.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 7:14am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I've never made freesias, but I've done other flowers with that texture. The cheapest way to achieve that on fondant or gumpaste is to buy some cornhusks (near the tortilla mix in the grocery store). Dust the corn husk with cornstarch and lay it on top of the fondant or gumpaste, roll over it once, and you've got that texture.

I have heard that before, and looking at the posted picture it looks like it would work perfectly! icon_smile.gif Whenever I'm going to try a new flower I go searching on the web for pictures like the one that I want to create, put a few on a page, print it out and tack it up on the wall by my table. It really does help to have a "guide". For this flower, I would probably use my 5 petal rose cutter and cut them apart. Use my little roller to enlongate it a little bit, put it on the Corn Husk roll over it, arrange it in an egg carton to dry, and then dust away once it was dry. icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck!
Pat

Justbeck101 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

What a great idea! I have never heard of that before!!!! I love this place!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%