"ramps" On Sides Of Round Cake.

Decorating By Hawkette Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 2:34pm by Hawkette

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 12

This question has probably been asked before, I just don't know what to call it. (Jan, maybe you could do a little link magic for me?)

My son wants a construction themed birthday cake for his birthday next month. I'm still trying to come up with a fun design (ideas, anyone?) but I'm considering 3 tiered round cakes (like 10-8-6) that have "ramps" curving up the side of each tier. I've seen this done on cakes before, although not construction ones, but I'm not sure how its done. Do you bake the layers larger and just carve it, or is there an easier way? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll keep trying to find a picture. TIA!

11 replies
Hawkette Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 12

Ah, here's that picture I remembered seeing a while back. It's jsmith's groom's cake. Awesome design!! I would like to use the same basic shape for my construction cake. In the comments, JSmith wrote it was a carved cake (carved when frozen), as I had suspected. Anyone have additional tips for attempting this? I've never carved a cake before. Thanks!
LL

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 12

okay....if you go look in my pics at the piano keyboard cake you'll see that I did the same thing. I did carve the cakes about 1/2 frozen. It was a 9 and 12 inch. I put a 6 inch cake pan on top of the 9 inch to gauge where to carve for a 3 inch wide keyboard. Then I did the same with the 12 inch cake, using a 9 inch pan as a guide.

Hope that helps!

Jodie

Hawkette Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 12

Cute cake, Jodie. Thanks for the tips! I haven't made a cake in a month, and I'm going into cake-decorating withdrawal, so I think I'll try some carving tonight. icon_smile.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkette

Anyone have additional tips for attempting this? I've never carved a cake before. Thanks!

• Use a steak knife. You'll have an easier time controlling it than a large knife, and you don't need to carve off THAT much.

Have a bowl waiting to receive the scraps as you peel them off.

Use toothpicks to plan out where you'll carve, so you can carve from point to point instead of trying to carve it entirely freehand and feeling like you've ruined it when it doesn't look right--because it WILL go through a stage where it doesn't look right, before it settles in to looking right.

Torte and/or fill your cakes, but don't crumbcoat them, before you freeze. You'll just get sticky, and you'll have to crumbcoat where you carved, anyway.
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 12

Hawkette, that picture you posted-- is that from here on CC or did you find it somewhere else?

Jibbies

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:29am
post #7 of 12

The photos is from CC....it's in the music category.

Jodie

Hawkette Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the tips, Varika!

Yep, jibbies, look up jsmith in the user names and click to view her pictures. Check out JodieF, too. She has a very similar and also way cool cake.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #9 of 12

Thanks I put both of them in my favs.

Jibbies

Hawkette Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:39am
post #10 of 12

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I didn't freeze them, but the toothpick tip was a lifesaver. Thanks, Varika. I made my practice cake the night before my DS started preschool. (It was a bit of a mess being my first time with carving and with IMBC, but that's what practice cakes are for, right?) icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1256883

The birthday cake ended up not being quite what I wanted (the oven broke that week, so my baking schedule got all messed up and I ran out of time), but everyone at the party loved it and I had fun making it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1266009

Thanks everyone for helping me out. I never would have been brave enough to try this without all your ideas. It seemed really intimidating, but I found out it's actually pretty easy and is one of those fabulous tricks where it looks like it was much harder than it was. thumbs_up.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:15am
post #11 of 12

I've wondered about this technique. So, do you carve one regular 4" tall cake & just carve away or do you keep your 6" round & add to the side of it? I know it's probably an optical illusion, but I'm totally not following. Sometimes it hurts that I'm a visual person. icon_sad.gif

Hawkette Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 12

It totally is an optical illusion. I followed the directions someone put on their picture. I went in 2" increments. So I baked a 6" cake and placed a 4" circle at the edge to use as a guide for carving. Then I baked a 10" cake for the bottom and put an 8" circle at the edge to carve around. So what you get is the "illusion" of a 4-inch cake with a ramp that sticks out to 6 inches on top of the "illusion" of an 8-inch cake that sticks out to 10 inches. Clear as mud? Anyway, try it. You'll probably be surprised. It looks much harder than it was. Definitely use a small, sharp knife (like the steak knife that was mentioned) and stick in toothpicks down where the ramp will be to mark where you want to cut. Let us know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%