My Cake Flour Has A Metallic Taste!?!

Decorating By chelseafitz Updated 5 Sep 2015 , 10:36am by Shockolata

chelseafitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseafitz Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:35am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, I bought a box of cake flour and used it to make a red velvet cake, it came out looking great but tasted really strange, it almost had a metallic taste to it. I thought it might have been a strange reaction between the vanilla, soda and cocoa. A few days later I got my flour out to make another cake and smelled the same metallic smell. I tasted the flour and it tasted just like the red velvet cake. It was the softasilk brand. I have never used cake flour before, but I am pretty sure it is not supposed to have that metallic taste, has anyone else heard of this or had this happen??

3 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:29am
post #2 of 4

Check the expiration date, flour can go rancid... which I guess could be described as a metallic smell/taste.

KTKTKDKaKeS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTKTKDKaKeS Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 9:06am
post #3 of 4

I am trying to make a birthday cake for a friend's father, and I am having the same problem!!!  My cake flour is igood until November 2016 and I just bought it Thursday of this week!  The two cakes I made with it tasted absolutely horrible! I threw them out in the corn   I have been trying to make a scratch white cake for his white cake request but five cakes failed!! What a waste!!  The good tasting ones called for whole eggs, so they weren't truly white.  I am at my wits' end, and cakes 6 & 7 are box mixes, which I absolutely hate, but at this point I just do not know what to do.  I dislike the taste of box white cake  I would much rather have an off-white color with a good flavor than stark white with poor flavor, but what the heck are you supposed to do?!  I have been up all night. I am exhausted and angry that there is not an easier way.

I bought three boxes of the soft-as silk cake flour.   I opened two and both of them have that terrible smell.

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 10:36am
post #4 of 4

Is your flour packed in an aluminium foil lined paper container? Did you store it near a heat source, e.g. a cabinet that is next to your oven or fridge? If you pour the remaining flour from the container into a bowl, will the container look intact inside? The metallic taste you describe is what you get with soda. So if it was real cake flour, it would not contain any soda or other leavening agents, so the culprit would have been you adding too much soda whilst mixing your ingredients. But it is theoretically possible that if the container had been bumped in the store or during transport to your home or dropped even, its lining could have been compromised and the flour could have reacted with the aluminium foil (foil is usually laminated with a film on top.) If you were in the UK, you would return the remainder of the flour to the manufacturer (at their cost) and they'd investigate it and send you vouchers to make up for the trouble. Is there something like this over where you live?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%