All Iowa Bakers

Business By momtobtb Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 1:51am by sugarspice

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! I have some info for my fellow cake decorators in Iowa.

I just sent my application off to the State Inspections and Appeals today to get my license as a Home Food Establishment. Luckilly, we don't need a license to bake from our home in Iowa, but you need it if you would like to do cream fillings, or anything potentially hazardous that needs to be refrigerated. Since I'm branching out to do wedding cakes I'd like to get licensed so I can do different fillings besides buttercream. The license only costs $37

Anyway, I have the application and all the information that someone from the State sent me. If you'd like to have the info as well, just let me know.

Another Iowa thing....does anyone know about collecting sales tax on cakes in Iowa? I've read that baked goods such as cakes are excluded from sales tax, but I just wanted to make sure.


3 replies
purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Becky,

I just called the Tax place for Iowa yesterday, and I was told that cakes themselves are to be sold tax free. But, if you are to serve the cake, you are to charge tax. And in order to charge sales tax, you need to get a tax permit.

BakerChick21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerChick21 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 4

Could I have the information please? Me and my friend are wanting to open a cake business together.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:51am
post #4 of 4

Hi from a fellow Iowan baker! I have thought of getting a license, as one is required to sell at another establishment-but have not yet. Please post how the inspection goes, and what they look at, ask about, etc. I deal with DIA a lot with my job and am curious! Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%