How To Make Fondant Shiny

Decorating By Jenniflex Updated 25 Feb 2014 , 3:44pm by Jenny BakesAlot

Jenniflex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniflex Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 60

I am making a black phone cake. I need the fondant to be shiny like plastic. What would be the best way to do this? Luster dust? with vodka? would I use black?
I've also heard egg whites, shortening..what are your ideas. Thanks in advance.

59 replies
DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 60

I don't think luster dust would give you the effect you're looking for. I think egg whites would probably do well, but you might test a piece first and see how it dries. Shortening would certainly work, too.

ladawn250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladawn250 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 60

I saw a cake on here once that was in the shape of a liquer bottle and it was really shiny. The person who made it said she rubbed some vegetable oil on it to get that effect. I've never tried it, but maybe it would work for you.

Jenniflex Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 60

ya my concern with the luster dust is that it will look shimmery not shiny. I'm testing egg whites and shortening as we speak ( on a prototype ) and they seem to be drying over time leaving no finish.
If the shortening is going to dry I could rub it on at the last minute but there will be buttons and stuff in the way. I kind of wanted to have to gloss done before adding the details.
Thanks for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 60

These two cakes started out all white. I painted them with luster dust and Everclear they turned out very shiny. Is this the look you want?
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1158409.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1095933.html
Hope this helps.

Jibbies

Jenniflex Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 60

what is everclear?

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 60

According to wikipedia.com:

Everclear is a brand of grain alcohol (ethanol), available at concentrations of 95% alcohol (190 proof) and 75.5% (151 proof)

icon_eek.gif

clopin0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clopin0 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:00am
post #8 of 60

I've used both shortening and piping gel to make the fondant shiny.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:06am
post #9 of 60

you can take a lint free cloth like a tea towel and get it a little damp and sort of "polish" the fondant. I've done it and it works pretty well, I think because it's melting the sugar? I also have done corn syrup mixed with vodka and brushed it on, but I don't know if that would work on a large surface because it really melts the outside of the fondant. I say get a small piece of the fondant and try a few things to see what's doable for you. Good luck!

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 60

I've never tried this but I have this recipe in my files for Edible Varnish - maybe it'll work?

Edible Varnish

1 TBS water
1 TBS gelatin
1 TBS glucose or corn syrup

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 60

I too have used Crisco to achieve that effect, although when I did, it was by accident. Too much vegetable shortening while needing my fondant for a Barney the Dinosaur, gave me one shiny dino! lol

~Wendy

Jenniflex Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 60

Currently I am trying all these techniques on a prototype. I rolled the black fondant out with cornstarch and it really dulled it, maybe I should roll it out with shortening?
I found this photo, and even this degree of shiny would please me.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1251228&done=2

Thank you for all the input.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 60

oh, if that's all the shiny you need you can easily accomplish that with a little shortening rubbed in. Sometimes my MMF just comes out that shiny and I have to sprinkle cornstarch to dull it a little.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 60

Hi!

I did a quick search on line and this is what I found:

Spraying Pam:
http://cakecreator.wordpress.com/2008/07/17/making-your-fondant-look-shiny/

Several different applications on this forum:
http://www.cakescanada.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4655

I also remember seeing something on youtube that had a small video on how to make shiny fondant (I think they used steam).

HTH! icon_smile.gif

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:01am
post #15 of 60

I've steamed fondant before and it worked really well. The more you steam it the shinier it gets. Be careful because if you steam it for too long it can wilt and get sticky but it will dry over time....then it's not sticky anymore. I've let it set for as long as 3 days and it was still shinny. I like to use a clothing steamer because you have much more control. However, I've only steamed parts and pieces of fondant ....not a whole cake, so I'm not sure how that would work. HTH icon_wink.gif

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #16 of 60

I just rub around it with the palm of my hand VERY GENTLY!! I just posted one in black it looks like plastic. Good luck!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #17 of 60

Confectioner's Glaze it what I used on my Wine bottle cake. http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=2&SubCatId=778

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #18 of 60

Wow Your wine bottle cake looks amazing! Do you brush the glaze on full strength? How long do you let the fondant dry before you apply the glaze? Thanks
Becky

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm
post #19 of 60

Thanks Becklynn. Yes, I apply full strength with a paint brush and there really is no drying time for the fondant before applying. It's the last step I do.

laurakelly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurakelly2 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:51pm
post #20 of 60

I use crisco but, always use a paper towel to rub it in. Also, using black food coloring mixed with water and painted on give a great effect-shinier than crisco icon_biggrin.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #21 of 60

to get it really shiny you use clear pipping gel but if just want a nice sheen i use apricot jam diluted in boiling water work really well! just try not to touch it once it is coated in the fondant as the shine will remain slightly sticky and your finger prints will mark on it, but if this does happen just paint a bit more over the spot and it will blend

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #22 of 60

This is some great information! Thanks for sharing.

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:44pm
post #23 of 60

Just curious as to what method worked well for the Phone cake. Thanks.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:04pm
post #24 of 60

i saw on the ultimate cake challenge that a contestant/challenger used a small ball of fondant and rubbed that over the fondant you want shiny-i've also seen buddy on cake boss use steam a lot. steam would be faster i think. let us know how it all turns out and good luck!

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:38pm
post #25 of 60

For super quick try Pam spray. A little wiping to even the shine.

tarascupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarascupcakes Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:44pm
post #26 of 60

The left one is the nonsteamed bag. The right one I steamed with a garmet steamer. Took like 5 seconds!! It's great!
LL

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #27 of 60

Buddy from Cake Boss_TLC Show... Always steams his cakes and they come out super shiny!!!

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #28 of 60

Another vote for steaming! I've started steaming almost all of my cakes to quickly clean off the stray powdered sugar. Some cakes, like my recent Mickey cake get steamed a little longer to help make the colors pop and shine. The red and black were dull pre-steam - after steaming his ears were really shiny and red looked great.

www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1607075

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 10:13pm
post #29 of 60

I've done the shortening method and it looks great but after awhile it dulls quite a bit, not back to what it was before but def not as shiny. The scarecrow in my pics was shortening rubbed and was SUPER shiny but you can see it now.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:56am
post #30 of 60

Can you steam chocolate fondant, or will it melt?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%