Need Help Asap! Wedding Tomorrow 8/16! Re: Elevation Changes

Decorating By cdent Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 3:32pm by kakeladi

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone!

I live in the Sacramento Area and I am supposed to deliver a cake to tahoe tomorrow (8/16) morning at 10am. The bride just called me to inform me that the wedding planner told her that all cakes made in the Sacramento Area collapse when they are driven up to tahoe due to the elevation change (needless to say, she is flipping out). My question is...is there any way to reinforce a cake to withstand this or am I just doomed? I have not covered the cake with fondant yet but the layers are filled with frosting already, but I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to the layers themselves. HELP PLEASE!!!!

8 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 9

gee, i know this is too late, but that just sounds bizarre. I would think as long as the cake was properly supported it wouldn't collapse

How did you make out???

regbevjon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regbevjon Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:26am
post #3 of 9

That sounds completely ridiculous to me. I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. Altitude will make HUGE differences when baking at different heights, but once the cakes are made, it should have NO effect at all. Maybe her wedding planner isn't real experienced or something. I live at a very high altitude and bake and deliver at much lower altitudes, and have never had an issue like that. I've also baked at lower and delivered higher. Your cake will be just fine. Please don't stress over it anymore. You have enough on your mind. thumbs_up.gif

kookyfaery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookyfaery Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #4 of 9

Um, I'm in sac too, and getting married in tahoe, and know several people who have gotten married in tahoe or reno from down here. I think there is a total of three cakes driven up the hill and no problems. I think maybe using some dowels or something should help.

Let me know what happens cos my wedding is in a year and I was planning on making my own. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:46am
post #5 of 9
cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:32am
post #6 of 9

So I am happy to say that the cake did not topple or implode in any way! The only thing that happened was that it slid the teeniest bit on the base so I had to push it back (I actually delivered it completely assembled...yes, I know I'm insane to do that with all those curves on highway 50). I basically made sure the wedding planner saw it just to tell her maybe she shouldn't tell the poor stressed out brides that her cake will implode the night before the wedding. Here's a picture of the completed cake icon_smile.gif
LL

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 9

I love the tree blossoms, it looks so harmonious.

(Perhaps I'm getting cynical in my old age...
But I wonder if the wedding planner is inexperienced, or has a friend at Lake Tahoe who decorates cakes... hmmmm? )

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:25am
post #8 of 9

Well heck, I tried to edit out the cynical remark, but it wouldn't let me! icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 9

See we told youicon_smile.gif Soooo glad to see such a beautiful cake that showed the planner she is wrong! Definately agree that she probably had someone she wanted to send business to!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%