Pastor Appreciation - Ideas???

Decorating By megankennedy Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 2:16am by megankennedy

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 11

Hey guys... I need some help! I need to make a cake for this Sunday for my Pastor Appreciation Day, the only guidelines are "something special" and for 50 people. Geez.... I am looking for something that does not require a high level of difficulty, but not just a plain sheet cake with writing or just a cross cake with flowers. It's for a really smart & educated, hilarious, and really service-minded man, in his 70's, but he's not "old". I made the "You're HOW old??!?!?!?" cake for him last year for his birthday, and am looking for something that would be nice for this. Maybe funny/humorous? He reads alot... I don't know if that helps....

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 11

If he enjoys reading how about a book cake, single or stacked?

What does he like doing in his past time? If you want to do a humorous cake then what kind of things does he find funny?

I know you don't have a lot of input from them but if you give me a little more info (I know, I know) perhaps I can help some more. You can PM me if you like!

HTH! icon_smile.gif

megankennedy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 11

thanks....I was thinking about the book idea. Do you think that it would work if they were side by side, instead of on top of one another? Also...is there any way that they could be made w/only buttercream and no fondant? I've never used fondant and want to try it first on a practice cake.

drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 11

Hi there
I would do a large cake with a bible on it. I just did a book cake and was happy with it and it was not hard... Good luck and anything you do will be appreciated...Pic. is in my photos
Jen in CA

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 11

I made a stained glass cross for a cake before (in my pics). I can pm you with directions if you want to do something with the stained glass.

xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by megankennedy

thanks....I was thinking about the book idea. Do you think that it would work if they were side by side, instead of on top of one another? Also...is there any way that they could be made w/only buttercream and no fondant? I've never used fondant and want to try it first on a practice cake.

Sure you can do it with buttercream! Just remember to put lines on the sides of the buttercream to represent pages. If you do a search under the galleries and put in "book" as your search criteria you can get some ideas on how to do it. Some have done it with buttercream and others with fondant, some stacked, some not, some open.......

You could always buy a book pan too and go that route.

If you have any other questions or need more help with some ideas just ask!

icon_smile.gif

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 11

StephW I looked up the picture of your stain glass cross and it is wonderful.

StephW Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 11

Awwwwww... thank you seasonsmoke. That is very kind of you to say!

xstitcher Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasonsmoke

StephW I looked up the picture of your stain glass cross and it is wonderful.

I just did the same and I have to agree!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

StephW Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:21am
post #10 of 11

Thank you for agreeing xstitcher! icon_biggrin.gif

If anyone wants instructions just pm me.

megankennedy Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #11 of 11

thanks everyone, I'm sorry that I didn't respond sooner, there's a whole lot goin on over here.... The cake ended up being a hit! I did a carved/shaped cake, it was a cross made out of 3 loaf sized cakes, and then a banner going across the bottom using mini loaf pans that said, "To God Be the Glory", something he says all the time. I did the cross in a stained glass design with piping gels and the text on the banner as well. Everyone loved it - I am waiting to get my pic uploaded, someone else had to take the picture for me. Thanks Steph for the directions, even though I didn't use them this time, I am definitely going to try them one day - I needed something a little quicker, since I had only 2 days lead time. Again, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will post the pic soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%