Opinion On Confetti Cake/elisa Strauss Recipe

Baking By tiersfromheaven Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 3:01pm by tiersfromheaven

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 9

I just got her book from the library. I would like to know if anyone here has tried the recipes in this book, to guage whether I should give them a try. Thanks alot!

8 replies
mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 9

I use this book nearly every time I bake. Her recipes are great! I've relied on them many times. Her chocolate cake is TO DIE FOR!! Instead of using coffee, I use instant hot cocoa. It's AMAZING. I highly recommend her recipes.

tiersfromheaven Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for your reply! I wonder if you could answer a bit more icon_redface.gif Her white cake, would you call it moist on its own or requiring syrup ? Actually, that is my question for all her recipes. And also what type of texture would you compare them too? I appreciate your input! Thanks again!

tiersfromheaven Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for your reply! I wonder if you could answer a bit more icon_redface.gif Her white cake, would you call it moist on its own or requiring syrup ? Actually, that is my question for all her recipes. And also what type of texture would you compare them too? I appreciate your input! Thanks again!

mlharvell Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:35am
post #5 of 9

I always simple syrup my cakes, so I couldn't tell you how moist they are without it. I would imagine they're okay. If you're looking for box cake texture and moisture, you won't find it with her recipes. They are very dense, but they are great. They're not heavy though, like a lot of scratch cakes. The texture is kind of hard to describe. One time, I messed up her chocolate cake (part of it stuck to the pan), so I made cake balls out of it. When the cake was crumbed (before adding any buttercream or creamer), I had a few bites and it was like silk. I hope that helps. If you have any more questions, let me know. I'm glad to help.

cookiesup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesup Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:10am
post #6 of 9

I have her book and love it too! I have made the white cake and it's delish! The first time I made it I over cooked it and I friend told me not to worry the simple syrup would take care of my fear of dryness...sure enough it was great! I also love her recipe for the cupcake frosting super easy and sooo tasty! I would reccomend the syrup always to add that xtra moisture you may be looking for. Hope that helps!

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:16am
post #7 of 9

what is simple syrup? Do you add this to ALL cakes and do you exchange the syrup for any other liquids? I usually just use the WASC and it always turns out great but I am also looking to try scratch or dense cakes that I can carve, any recommendations for carvable cakes, Debbie Browns was nasty (sorry, maybe it was me but it was dry and crumbly)

mlharvell Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:40am
post #8 of 9

Simple syrup is just sugar water. It's a 1:1 ratio of sugar and water. Just put the water in a pot on the stove, turn it on medium-high heat, and dissolve the sugar. If you want to add liqueurs or anything, just use a 1:1:1 ratio. Then, just brush it on your cakes. It makes them sooooo moist!! As far as dense scratch cakes for carving go, definitely try Confetti Cakes' recipes. They are amazing!

tiersfromheaven Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks all for the wonderful reponses! I am now looking forward to trying her reipes. I am a big fan of the Cake Bible but I would like to use recipes that were not too "boutique" to keep an affordable range for my customers. These recipes sounded like what I was looking for so after reading your responses I am lloking forward to trying the recipes! Thanks All!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%