Royal Icing, Colorflow Or Something Else

Decorating By Maire Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm by BJ

Maire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maire Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a cake for the 23rd & I want to use my Wilton "Cakes & More". It holds three separate cakes. The theme is music (its a birthday party) and I want to create a "bridge" from one cake to another that looks like a bar of music -- the lines & then notes on the lines.

My plan is (tonight) to put together my stand & put the cake pans on the appropriate ones to get a close height, then draw an arc that should go from one cake to the next. then i'll use that to create the music lines.

My question is, should I create this with royal icing, colorflow, or something else? it has to be a pretty sturdy piece so that it will stay put when I put it on the two cakes.

any thoughts?


7 replies
BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 8

Here are a couple suggestions:
you could do color flow or royal icing - I made a ladder for a firetruck using royal and yet it was fragile - it did hold fine on the cake. My best suggestion would be to use gumpaste and a clay gun to create the bridge structure. gumpaste dries very hard and I find it much easier to play with. The clay guns come with multiple sized tips so you can get a nice small "rope" of gumpaste to sculpt into your bridge. You could use a coffe can or something round like that - tape waxed paper to it and then make your bridge on that. I love the look of a clay gun becuase every piece is very uniform. I did a tiara using this technique - it's in my pixs. I used a larger hole size for the tiara than I would use for the bridge - but it gives you an idea of how it would look using that technique. I hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

Maire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maire Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 8

where do you get a clay gun from? I've never heard of it.

I've also never used gum paste . . . but I'm willing to give it a try!

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 8

You can get a clay gun from any craft store - I got mine from Michaels. I'm in the new england area. I just have a hard plastic one that didn't cost much at all but works great. Gumpaste - you can also buy this pre-made at most craft stores that carry Wilton products. It works just like fondant! Same texture, same coloring capability, same everything except it dries rock hard. You use water to "glue" pieces together. Just get a small soft paint brush and if there are pieces you need to connect - just brush a SMALL amount of water on the pieces and attach them. You do have to be as carefull with this when not working with it as you would fondant - make sure you keep non-used peices wrapped tight (I use plastic wrap) while you work with the pieces you need. It does dry quickly (not instantly but kind of quickly).

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 8

I was thinking the same, gumpaste then you could make the notes out of royal icing.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 8

I like the clay extruder gun idea with either RI or color flow musical notes.

We use our clay extruder all the time - we got it at Michael's.

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 8

Sorry no help from me on this one but...

BJ - I love the tiara!

DollyCakes - I love your avartar!!!!

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you.
CC member Karateka helped with the that - check hers out! I love this place - everyone is so helpful and nice. I'm outa here for the weekend - have a great one. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%