Share Ideas For Use Of Sports Ball Pan

Decorating By tmt Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 7:29pm by kimblyd

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 21

What can you make with a full or half sports ball using wilton's pan?

I had leftover batter and made a half-ball. Now I have to figure out what to do with it. I know you can help share ideas! I would bet those of you with the pan have wondered the same thing, what else can I do with this thing? icon_smile.gif

I've made the following with my sports ball pan:

Pirate head
Lady Bug
Pregnant belly
Boobs (thanks to ByTheSlice for this cake idea http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1168679.html)

Other things I've thought of using it for:
Turtle
Lion's face (i've made this using the mini-ball pan but could use the sports ball pan for a larger version)
Balls - the original intent of the pan

Please share your thoughts with us on what else we can make with a sports ball pan!

20 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 21

I have made a sheet cake iced completely in rough blue bc and used 1/2 the sports ball pan to make an island in the sea. I iced it in bc and covered it in crushed Nilla wafers.

DuncanHinesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuncanHinesgirl Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 21

I've hollowed out a bit of the ball half and placed it curved side down (after leveling it so it wouldn't rock) on an 8 in round cake to make a bowl. I "filled" the bowl with piped spaghetti and chocolate cake meatballs. For sauce I combined red tube icing with strawberry preserves.

Marie

tmt Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 21

oh, wow! both great ideas icon_smile.gif creative minds!!!

another idea I thought of was to make the full ball pan look like an earth with an airplane flying over. Maybe for a pilot?

Or, a teapot

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 21

I am using a similar shape to make a kettle grill cake for my DH's B-day this weekend. Baked 2, one for the base with grate/food/coals and the other as the lid with handle.

I adore the ball of yarn with the kitty on top cake from from that as well. Really cute. Lots of those in the pics section.

There was a thread recently about making a full ball and slicing off part of the top and hollowing just a little, then icing to look like a tropical pina colada in a coconut shell.

Disco ball
Base for a bowl of 'nachos' made from fondant or gumpaste. Or bowl for other foods etc.
Ball cap

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 21

These are really great ideas for the sports ball..I too have been wondering what to use it for.. icon_biggrin.gif
Is there a picture on here of the coconut shell with the pina colada in it? I can't find it and it sounds like a really cute idea!

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 21

Here is the coconut pic from brilandken-and one more
I love it and need a reason to make it!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=949383
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1152642

Also as ideas-
any round fruit, like an apple or orange, and you could even cut one of the halves in wedges and decorate like a wedge of apple or citrus segment.

Humpty Dumpty
Egg shells with a chick hatching out.
Any planet, and could use pulled sugar as the rings for Saturn
Use it as the center cake in orange/yellow and ring oval cakes or cupcakes around it like flower petals.
Segments of a caterpillar.

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 21

Hey..thanks Sadiepix!..And you have some more GREAT ideas...
My sister and her family are going to the Dominican soon and her birthday is coming up..I thought the coconut pina colada drink might be an appropriate cake to make.. icon_smile.gif

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 21

You can do the earth as mentioned above. I've used them for the tops of my snowglobe cakes that's in my pictures.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 21

The top of a gumball machine.

Jibbies

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:30pm
post #11 of 21

I actually want to pick up the pan for one reason and one reason only, though undoubtedly I'll find other uses for it at some point.

DEATH STAR CAKE!!!

shayb417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shayb417 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 21

I am assuming you want to make something creative just so this cake doesn't go to waste...I once used my sports ball pan to make a crystal ball and I just piped simple designs on a base of blue-grey, I have also used it for pumpkins, faces, and I also did a globe for a 5th grade calss. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #13 of 21

I used the sports ball pan for part of a rattler. I used some small cupcakes for the handle.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:23am
post #14 of 21

If you ever need a larger ball than you are getting with the sports ball pan I used a 2.5 quart glass bowl to make a teapot. There are a variety of sizes of glass pyrex bowls. They have a slightly flat bottom and you don't have to slice any off to make the ball sit level.

tmt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:14am
post #15 of 21

all good ideas icon_smile.gif I ended up stacking the ball on to a 6" round and making it a bee hive. quick and simple.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #16 of 21

The yolk of a sunny-side up egg; a cauldron; monster eyeballs; top of a native drum; Patrick Star's house; Magic 8 ball; a lampshade; a wasp nest; a fishbowl (I use round fishbowls to hold flowers like tulips and daffodils, so maybe it would work for that as well.)

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:23am
post #17 of 21

Ive used it for the top of the little einsteins rocket ship and a coffee mug.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:50pm
post #18 of 21

I used the sports ball pans for the blue m&m in my pics! He turned out cute!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:59pm
post #19 of 21

Wow! What a great thread!! So many cool ideas!! Thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:21pm
post #20 of 21

I used the half ball pan for the base of a graduate's cap and the center of the "Red Hat" birthday cake that I made.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:29pm
post #21 of 21

I used half of a ball cake to make Minnie's hat (in my pics). I used Peppermint Patties candy) to make the ears and poured ganache over everything.

Love all these ideas....

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%