Is It Supposed To Smell Like That???

Baking By cakemommy Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 12:06am by kakeladi

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 2

I just made a two layer 8" red velvet cake. It's for a wedding I have on Saturday. I took it out of the oven a bit ago and smelled it icon_rolleyes.gif and my goodness is that vinegar smell strong. This is my first time making a red velvet cake and I had NO idea there was vinegar/baking soda science experiment ingredients in it!!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I used the recipe I found on Joy of Baking. I have had great success with many a recipe from that site.

Is the vinegar supposed to still smell so strong. It's cooling now so I'll smell it again when it's completely cooled. Is the cake going to taste like vinegar icon_redface.gificon_confused.gif ? I sure hope not. Retch!!!!! I am filling it with a home made blackberry filling and covering with a cream cheese frosting.

Please someone tell me that this will turn out okay!!!!!

Oh, and can I just complain about something here.... icon_rolleyes.gif Why is it that when I make just a single recipe and use pans smaller than what is recommended the cakes don't come all the way up to the top of the pan. That is annoying as all get out. How in the world can I torte and fill those skinny ol' things?

Amy

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:06am
post #2 of 2

.......Why is it that when I make just a single recipe and use pans smaller than what is recommended the cakes don't come all the way up to the top of the pan. That is annoying as all get out. How in the world can I torte and fill those skinny ol' things?...

Sorry can't help w/the cake smell as I'ver never used that recipe. How did it work out for you?
To b e sure any cake batter rises up you need to fill the pan 2/3rd up the side. This goes for any size pan. Then it should bake up just right. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%