Best Rolling Pin For Making Cookies

Baking By babyblue113 Updated 22 Jan 2014 , 10:52am by ReeseMO

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:10am
post #1 of 16

Hi can someone suggest a good rolling pin......every time I use my large wilton plastic roller when making cookies my cookies always tear and stick to my rolling pin, has anyone else ever experienced this........I use the no fail cookie recipe.

thx

15 replies
wolfsonmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfsonmom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #2 of 16

I love my rolling pin. It is solid wood, 18 in long and about 1.5 in diameter. I bought it at Williams-Sonoma. It is so big I can roll out a lot of dough at a time. I use the plastic rings for dough thickness - they work great.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #3 of 16

I've had a marble rolling pin for 23 years and I love it, BUT I recently got a Silpin silicone rolling pin and that thing is awesome!

Deanna

jackiee70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackiee70 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 16

Hi, i have your same roller (Wilton) and i use rings to make all my cookies the same high, and put my dough between 2 waxed paper, so the roller wont stick to the dough, it works perfect for me

Hope this helps

babyblue113 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks!

Jackiee70 where'd you get the rings to fit the wilton roller? I got some rings from William Sonoma but they are too large for the Wilton roller, I'll try rolling the dough out between 2 sheets of wax paper, if that doesn't work, I'm going to William Sonoma and buying myself a wooden roller.

jackiee70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackiee70 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 16

Hi babyblue, i bought it by internet, in Wilton.com website they have this rings for the roller pin we have... the link is

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=1B328F10-423B-522D-FAED3E399DF48561&killnav=1

Here is a picture doing the technique with the 2 waxed paper, it was with my old wooden roller pin (wich marked the extremes of the dough) but at least you can see the tecnique. I love the roller pin we both have, it doesnt mark the dough

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 16

hi, i do the same as jackiee70.... use the large wilton roller with the rings.. got mine from michaels(the rings) and roll the same as she does... works great....

babyblue113 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 16

Thank you for the pic! I'll try this.

I'll also look in my local Michael's store to see if they have any rings, the only rings I remember seeing were for the smaller Wilton plastic rolling pin.

Thanks again!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 16

I roll my dough between two sheet of parchment paper. Don't have to worry about adding extra flour this way. Easier clean up, too.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 16

Ditto on the parchment paper. I don't use rings, but instead I roll between two strips of wood that I bought at Home Depot in the hard wood trim section. They measure about 1-1/2" wide and 24" long. I bought two 1/4" thick ones and two 1/2" thick ones. That way I can do regular cookies or extra thick ones.
My rolling pin is about 20" long so it can roll over these with no problem.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 16

ditto on the wood sticks, kimsmom!

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:10am
post #12 of 16

When we went to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO, they had a booth where two guys were making and selling rolling pins. I got one that was made right before my own eyes! Made out of wood, it has the "rings" carved in the wood...it is awesome!! I had him make the "rings" the depth of two nickels and that is perfect for the thickness of my cookies. They were also making them thicker so you could roll out dough for making biscuits.

babyblue113 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks for the tips!

Kimsmom I like the wooden sticks idea, that would also be a great idea for rolling out my fondant evenly. I'm off to Home Depot to buy my sticks!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 16

I use the smart rolling pin from countrykitchen and roll between two sheets of parchment paper. Works like a charm!! icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #15 of 16

I was using a wooden rolling pin and loved it, but switched to the large Wilton roller so I could use the Wilton rings. I use a large piece of freezer paper on the bottom and cling wrap (2 pieces side-by-side) on top. I roll it with top and bottom on, chill it, flip it and very, very lightly brush with flour (brushing all excess off). Put the freezer paper back on (wiping off any small amount of dough stickiness first), flip it back over, pull of the wrap and...Bingo! Ready to go! The dough is nice and stiff and never sticks to the bottom. Hmm... probably more than you were asking for, but I am a bit yacky right now! Oh, I like to do thick cookies, so I bought two sets of the rings, put two side-by-side on each end and (of all things) went over them with 3M Mounting tape to give it a bit more depth. Yes, it is odd, but it gives me an even, thick cookie.

ReeseMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReeseMO Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 10:52am
post #16 of 16

I have a cherry redSil-pin Traditional Rolling Pin, which I received as a shower gift. I love it and it looks great in my kitchen as well!!! Here's a list of rolling pin recommendations, which includes the model that I have:

Best Rolling Pins

http://www.simplyoldschoolcooking.com/best-rolling-pins.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%