Hey Is Anyone Competing In The Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show

Decorating By lizadams Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 5:47pm by tracycakes

lizadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizadams Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 20

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone was going to enter in the Oklahoma state sugar art show in Tulsa? I am thinking about it but a little nervous about entering. People from foodnetwork with be judging and will be there.
Here is the website if you would like to check it out and learn more about it! www.oklahomasugarartists.com
Good luck!
liz with dena's sweet delights.com
thumbs_up.gif

19 replies
iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:05am
post #2 of 20

I am entering a taster cake for the Groom's cake tasting contest, I would have had to have started about 6 months ago to compete in the wedding contest icon_smile.gif I AM SLOW WITH THE FLOWERS! LOL!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:31am
post #3 of 20

I'm seriously considering it. Trying to figure out of the trip is possible for me.

I won't be entering the Wedding cake part, sooo not ready for that, just the other catergories.

lizadams Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #4 of 20

yah on the wedding cake contest I was thinking about ordering the flowers or do you have to make them yourself?

iamlis Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #5 of 20

Oh no you do have to make them yourself icon_smile.gif I do remember reading that in the rules icon_smile.gif Part of the competition! The best part I think! It is so cool to see what can be created!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 20

Yes, I am entering and kind of freaking out about it. icon_cry.gif I'm entering 2 sculptured cakes and something else that hasn't completely been decided yet. The 2 sculptured cakes will follow the rules and be completely different and use different skill sets. I'm a hobbyist so at least I can't even think about entering the wedding cake competition. icon_rolleyes.gif

If anyone is entering, I definitely recommend that you read all of the rules. You must make all of your own decoration, no purchased flowers, no plastic, no non-edible decorations.

I'm sending in my entry form tomorrow. Yikes! Makes my stomach hurt just to think about it. icon_cry.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 20

I am planning on entering the wedding cake portion this year. I'm in way over my head though, as I haven't even STARTED my cake. LOL!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 20

I am-I'm not touching the wedding cake comp, but I will be doing a whimsical type cake. I'm excited!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 20

Kerry used to get other cake decorators to judge the show. When did Food Network people take over the judging?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

iamlis Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 20

No food network will not be judging, Keegan will be there as will Dawn and Merena and any other "Star" that is competing-but Kerry has judges allready picked out I read them somewhere else who they are...I will check.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizadams

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone was going to enter in the Oklahoma state sugar art show in Tulsa? I am thinking about it but a little nervous about entering. People from foodnetwork with be judging and will be there.
Here is the website if you would like to check it out and learn more about it! www.oklahomasugarartists.com
Good luck!
liz with dena's sweet delights.com
thumbs_up.gif

I am replying to this thread by request of Kerry Vincent. The show has nothing to do with the Food Network. The judges are qualified people who picked to judge the show. The show is directed by Kerry Vincent.

This will be my fourth year competing in the show. I started all my entries in May icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:28am
post #12 of 20

If you are entering the Wedding division you must be a Semi Pro, Pro or Master to enter.

iamlis Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:28am
post #13 of 20

Well I wish you all luck who are entering! It is an amazing show to see-every cake (even the beginners!) are so cool! I take a picture of them all! It takes all day but I love looking back over those photo's! It takes alot of guts and talents to enter and I wish you all much success with your flower making! There are sure to be some stunners there!

lizadams Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:14am
post #14 of 20

Hey everyone, I wanted to wish everyone good luck, and I am sorry to say that food network were judging. I guess I was wrong and will be making sure I read the rules a lot better icon_eek.gif ! As for the wedding cake, I am starting on my flowers and boy do I have a long way to go. I know we cant have any non-edible jewelry on the cake but I was wondering if anyone knew if you can put something on the cake that moves such as for an example wheels on the truck or car moves or ballerina in a music box moves, does anyone know? I know everything has to be made by hand but just wondering about the moving part. thanks for your help!
liz
Denas Sweet Delights icon_biggrin.gif

moydear77 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:01am
post #15 of 20

I have seen people do it it before. Food Network never commits until weeks before the show. They might not even show up. Will be a fun year for sure!

moydear77 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:03am
post #16 of 20

Here is a link for breaking news.

http://www.oklahomasugarartist.....g_news.htm

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #17 of 20

OK,OK, so I know last year I said I wasn't going to enter this year.... but I've changed my mind!! Imagine that!! SO, Moydear, I'll be seeing you there and looking forward to all your awesome cakes you bring every year. Hope you didn't go overboard this year like a couple of years ago!! Just kiddin'!
Anyway, are all the CCers going to be meeting anywhere in particular or wearing anything to signify CC?

moydear77 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeL8T

OK,OK, so I know last year I said I wasn't going to enter this year.... but I've changed my mind!! Imagine that!! SO, Moydear, I'll be seeing you there and looking forward to all your awesome cakes you bring every year. Hope you didn't go overboard this year like a couple of years ago!! Just kiddin'!
Anyway, are all the CCers going to be meeting anywhere in particular or wearing anything to signify CC?

Oh, I have my hands full this year! I also moved up to Professional!

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #19 of 20

Oh my, I'm contemplating entering and my stomach is already churning. I'd be in division 4 or 5, can't decide and thinking sculpted cake but can't decide what to do yet.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:47pm
post #20 of 20

I had planned to do 3 different cakes but since I haven't even started on one of them, it will only be 2. I thought I had more than enough supplies and I've gone to the store for more stuff...oh...at least twice a day! My hands are swollen they are so sore and I still have LOTS to do. I'm kinda nervous about travelling 7 hours in a motorhome with them.

I hope I get to meet everyone there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%