Question About Americolor

Decorating By tabitwhe Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm by TexasSugar

tabitwhe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabitwhe Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 21

Is Americolor what i would use if I wanted to paint the color on fondant?

If so, how do I mix it (portion wise)?

I use vodka right? Can I drink some while Im at it LOL j/k icon_biggrin.gif

I have tried using the wilton gel coloring before but only with pink and purple and it was very transparent.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

PS~ this is why I love this board. Everyone is so nice an always willing to help!

20 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 21

I'm going to take a stab at this, even though I don't paint on fondant. It was my understanding that you add the vodka to the powder food colors, in order to make a "paint". If you're using gels to begin with, save the vodka and drink it instead!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 21

Whenever I have painted on fondant I have used luster dust and everclear.
I haven't tried it with paste colors.
Here are a couple of painted cakes I've done
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1095933.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1158409.html
They both started out white and I painted them.

Jibbies

tabitwhe Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

save the vodka and drink it instead!

Thank you! I will keep that in mind, especially when it comes time to do the real thing LOL

Jibbies ~ thanks for your input. I can get that easily so I will try that first. Everclear is an alcoholic drink to right?

Thanks again ladies!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitwhe

Quote:

Thank you! I will keep that in mind, especially when it comes time to do the real thing LOL

Jibbies ~ thanks for your input. I can get that easily so I will try that first. Everclear is an alcoholic drink to right?

Thanks again ladies!

Everclear is 95% grain alcohol and is not actually intended to be drunk on its own, just added to other drinks to kick them up a notch. It is also the only alcohol that I have ever seen with labels that include, "Don't drink this or you will die," "this may explode," and "don't drink this or you will die AND it will explode."

It may also be illegal in your area. It's not in mine, but that's because we have some mighty STUPID people around these parts... icon_eek.gif

tabitwhe Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks again ladies!

Everclear is 95% grain alcohol and is not actually intended to be drunk on its own, just added to other drinks to kick them up a notch. It is also the only alcohol that I have ever seen with labels that include, "Don't drink this or you will die," "this may explode," and "don't drink this or you will die AND it will explode."

It may also be illegal in your area. It's not in mine, but that's because we have some mighty STUPID people around these parts... icon_eek.gif

Wow, that is kinda scary! Actually, really scary!

I will look at the stores later to see if it is carried around here.

Can I use the vodka instead of everclear?

varika Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:

Can I use the vodka instead of everclear?

You can. Everclear just evaporates a lot faster, since it's 190 proof, and vodka is...considerably less. As frightening as the bottle is, it worked BEAUTIFULLY when I played with it and dusts. I'm thinking of trying edible butterflies that way! THe gourmet writers just aren't working for me.

tabitwhe Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 21

Thank you.

One last question on this then Im done (for now LOL )

when mixing it, do I use the whole thing of dust and little liquid? or what should the consistency be?

Thanks in advance!

varika Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 21

I've only played around with it a bit so far, not even done an actual cake, but I just mixed a very small amount of powder with a roughly equal amount of liquid. Because the stuff evaporates so quickly, you might want to keep an eyedropper handy and add it in very small quantities, so it doesn't all evaporate away before you're done with what you want to paint!

tabitwhe Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 21

THank you for all the info. I really do appreciate it!

And thanks to everyone else icon_smile.gif

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 21

I have only painted in TEENY TINY amounts, but I DO love Americolor for that. I didn't have to thin it like I do Wilton gels. I just used it straight out of the bottle icon_smile.gif I have yet to try dusts and vodka, though.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 21

I've used color gels, (Wilton and Americolor) to paint with, but I prefer to mix them with everclear to thin them down a little. Plus the times I have just used them, they have remained sticky.

Some states don't sell everyclear so if you can't get it look for gin, then vodka.

When mixing it with your dust it just depends on what you are doing. You want it thick enough to cover, but not to thin to streak. You can go back over it, but let it dry completely first.

My favorite thing to paint with right now is actually the Americolor Airbrush colors. They are already thinned down and they dry and don't remain sticky.

tabitwhe Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #13 of 21

Thanks Ashley! I will try that to!

Its always good to have several techniques and since I have till the end of September I have plenty of time to practice icon_smile.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 21

The nice thing about luster dust and everclear is that when the everclear evaporates you can just add more and it good to go. also when you finish the dried luster dust can be scraped back into the little jar, so there's now waste.

Jibbies

tabitwhe Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:54pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks Texas Sugar, i will keep the gin in mind to icon_smile.gif

Do you airbrush with the airbrush color or just paint straight from the bottle?

I have attempted airbrush yet. DH suggested it but just rolled his eyes when I said I would rather airbrush cakes LOL

tabitwhe Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:55pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

The nice thing about and everclear is that when the everclear evaporates you can just add more and it good to go. also when you finish the dried can be scraped back into the little jar, so there's now waste.

Jibbies

Thats good to know to.

Man, I cant keep up LOL

tyrel9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyrel9 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:19pm
post #17 of 21

My wife would paint with the gels. She would mix colors to bring out different colors, and it worked awesome on our cakes. She has her brushes in a little bowl of clear vanilla or vodka and basically dillute the gel (if necessary) to what it needed to be. You can check out what we have painted. The cakes that you can check out have a zebra print and on them and another has a purple like scrolling on a cake we did as well. On a Monster Energy Drink we did a mizture of yellow and green to get the color needed and the blend. She is awesome at that. Check them out and if you have any questions regarding painting on them I can help you there.

I attatched a pic of the blowdryer cake. This whole cake was painted. (My spraygun was down) But the blowdryer and mirror was handpainted so you can see what effect the gels will have

We also have a spray gun so we use that for shading and stuff like that to get a slightly different look.

If you want to see examples of how we painted on cakes just check my stuff out. icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this helps

tyrel9
LL

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:25pm
post #18 of 21

Tyrel9!! That cake is amazing!!! Thumbs up to you and your wife!!! icon_smile.gif You do great work!

tabitwhe Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm
post #19 of 21

Thanks Tyrel9!

Your cakes are BEAUTIFUL!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:35pm
post #20 of 21

I always do Americolor gels with everclear. I did "Starry Night" (in my pics) all like that. I started out with an all white fondant base and just started painting away. As well as any leopard print cakes too.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:

Do you airbrush with the or just paint straight from the bottle?

I've airbrushed, but I have used just the airbrush colors with a paint brush. I did the design on my skate board cake and the spots on the cow with the airbrush colors, and painted them on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%