What Type Do You Use?

Sugar Work By Monna7122 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm by Monna7122

Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:35am
post #1 of 4

Forgive me please if this has been posted somewhere...

What type of chocolate do you use when making candy molds or modeling chocolate?
I make all kinds of chocolate candy around Christmas every year, but it is just with regular Nestle chips etc. I use the Almond Bark or the Bakers Chocolate for dipped pretzels, strawberries, etc. Just recently found out about Wilton's chocolates and plan to purchase them, but is there something better? And where can you find it? Also, is it possible to add a flavoring to a plain vanilla melt? I tried that once with the Vanilla Almond Bark and it made it caramelize very quickly. icon_redface.gif

Thanks for the help icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:52am
post #2 of 4

I used Wilton Candy Melts for my Harley Davidson cake with the candy plaque, they worked great. If you want to flavor the chocolate, you need to use oil based flavors. Water based flavors will cause the chocolate to sieze.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:54am
post #3 of 4

I use high quality real chocolate, as opposed to candy melts, almond bark, and similar products. The downside is that it needs to be tempered, but for me the flavor is not something I am willing to sacrifice, and candy melts and such just don't taste "right" to me.

Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 4

Pink, Where do you purchase your chocolates at?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%