Zennie Flower

Decorating By julitre1 Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm by jjkarm

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 15

I apologize if this is already a forum, I searched and didn't find. I have a request to do a ZENNIE flower, I googled a picture, but can't seem to find instructions on how to do it. It looks close to a daisey, but I'm not sure. If anyone can offer some suggestions, that would be great. I'll try and attach the picture that I found.

julitre1
LL

14 replies
jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 15

What do you want to use to make it....buttercream, fondant, gum paste?

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 15

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A ZENNIE FLOWER, BUT ZINNIA.....PERHAPS YOU WERE LOOKING FOR THE WRONG THING...??

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 15

It must be zinnia - assuming you would do it in fondant heres an idea: you could get this daisy cutter
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17037
Now make a ball of brown or yellow gumpaste for the center and (you could leave pierced impressions all over it) then let dry overnight. I'll assume you are not using wiring.
Next day take your ball and paint with gumpaste glue or clear alcohol (ex. vodka) and roll it in corn meal or yellow sugar. Set aside. Create your petals. Roll out your gumpaste as you normally would when creating flower petals and make two cutters worth of petals. Use your veining and ball tools to make impressions on each petal and to elongate each petal slightly with the tools. Attach each "cut" around the ball as you normally would.

If you dont want to buy the cutter online - I am sure you must own the starter fondant cutter set by Wilton. Just take the teardrop shape and cut individual petals. Vein and elongate and attach each to the ball. Yes, it will take more time.

There are many different varieties of zinnias out there so you can use your imagination. When recreating flowers I just think about pulling all the parts of the flowers apart; and think about what I've just deconstructed. So if you are not looking for an extreme botanically correct flower, then either of the above will get you through in a pinch.

julitre1 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 15

I clarified the flower and she said ZENNIE not ZINNIA, and there does appear to be different in the looks when I googled the flower. Anyway, I'm not sure what I will use, I can use fondant, royal icing, the customer doesn't have any preferances so I'm just open to the idea. I just know when I went on the Wilton sight, their ZINNIA didn't look like her ZENNIE which I had never heard of either. icon_confused.gif

thanks for all the advice......I'll try and let you know what I come up with. icon_smile.gif

julitre1 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 15

lol, after looking at MORE pictures, some of the ZINNIA do look like her ZENNIE, this is crazy. I just love the picky customers. icon_rolleyes.gif At least I have 2 weeks to get it done. Thanks everyone and if you have any more suggestions, just keep them coming.

I love this site-you guys are great!

julitre1 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 15

icon_biggrin.gif I did it and I'm very happy with it. I don't know if they look like Zennias, but I still like how they look.

jjkarm Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 15

Do you have a picture you can show us????

julitre1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:27am
post #9 of 15

I keep trying to upload the picture, but it just says ERROR: NO PICTURE UPLOADED! icon_mad.gif I'm just going to keep trying til I get it on here. Hopefully, it will be now. Apparently I need to resize the picture or something.

icon_lol.gif

julitre1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:53am
post #10 of 15

k- i resized the picture, let's see if it works. fingers crossed
LL

julitre1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #11 of 15

oh, yay! it worked. okay, i was going for the worn look, with the flowers falling off and stuff. I added a worm, but that's anothe picture. My mother-in-law loved it.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:27pm
post #12 of 15

You did a fabulous job! I love the cake!!

julitre1 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 15

thank you :0)

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 15

I see that you alredy have the instructions for a zinnia but I came across this today...

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Zinnia

jjkarm Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #15 of 15

Congrats! Very nice. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%