Lego Cake-Tips And Insight Requested

Decorating By sweettoothmom Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm by sweettoothmom

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a lego cake for my son. He is a self proclaimed LEGO MANIAC! He is turning 8 next Tuesday the 19th and I really want to do a good job for him.

I like the Lego cakes i have seen here the little lego man sitting up. My son has chosen one of his favorite lego men for me to replicate in this way.
Can anyone who has made one of these adorable little fellas give me some insight or tips so that we run smoothly?
Thanks again CC'rs you make cake great!

6 replies
JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 7

There is plenty I owuld change about my lego man. It was tough one to do, because I didn't have much of a game plan or time. The one smartthing I did was draw a templet of allof the parts on graph poster board. My templets were originally made fo a 6" round head but when I realized how much cake it would require, I trimed it down to 4". I didn't however change the size of my head becauuse I had already baked the cake. In retrospect, I think this was a mistake and I will do 4" cakes the next time because the head looks to big on the shoulders. Also, I tiedto use cake for the legs and feet, that I carved but I was having trouble icing the cakes, they just fell apart (i'm sure this had to do the fact that I was working o 3 hrs. sleep and limited time to finish the cake, bad combo). I would suggest to bake the leg and feet in mini loaf pans or use RCT which is what I did in the end only because time wasn't on my side. The arms are easiest out of RCT, again, sraw a templet taht you can place on top of the and just carve out. Yesterday, I didn't want to do this cake again, but I've gotten such good feedback on it that I think I will push forward try the Indiana Jones one for the state fair as planned. Good Luck and I hope this helped.

sweettoothmom Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much for the insight Jenna B. I promise to post picks and email you a pic when I am all done. Thank you again so much!!!

sweettoothmom Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 7

Today is the birthday and I am assembling the cake in just a few hours. I am so excited and scared to make this cake. I just want it to turn out perfectly for my little fella.
Thank you for your input and if anyone else has tips to share I will check back in a few hours.

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 7

sweettoothmom, if your body is cake, make sure you put a dowel through all layers to make sure it will stand up. I discovered this doing Indiana Jones, he almost fell over before I got the dowel in. Also, I pieced the fondant together on the body instead of covering in one piece. I found that easier as I don't have the counter space to roll it out large enough. Good luck, e-mail me a pic, can't wait to see it.

sweettoothmom Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:01am
post #6 of 7

OH JennaB. Thank you for the input. This little fella worked out so well. Everyone loved him especially the birthday boy. As people walked in the door he immediately rushed them over to see the cake. I think that was the ultimate in approval from an 8 year old boy!

I pieced together the "clothes" as well I think it made it easier to be more precise in getting the shape etc that I wanted.
This was also my first experience in making the MMF and using it. So that was an additional stressor to me. The MMF is so yummy though and so easy to make it was worth it and not at all as stressful as I made it. I was nervous in using the MMF for the first time, more than anything I suppose. But there was just no need to be it turned out so great!

Thank you again for all the help on this project! Lots of love and gratitude. I hope that one day in some way I can repay the favor.
I have to get my pics loaded tomorrow and then I will definately send you a pic.
My RKT work needs some practice it turned out lumpier than I wanted but I am really happy with the end result overall and I couldnt have done it without CC.

sweettoothmom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 7

It is not perfect but it was fun to create.I posted it in the pics. Sorry I forgot to post it. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%