For Those Of You That Have Done A Preg. Belly Cake,need Help

Decorating By BREN28 Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 5:58pm by BREN28

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 14

i want to make a sheet cake and put the belly and boobs on top,but i was wondering,do you put the belly and boobs on thier own cake board before putting it on top of the sheet cake,and also, do you use dowels underneath the belly and boobs?if so, about how many dowels would you use?do you decorate it (ice it and cover it with fondant to look like a shirt)first before putting it on the sheet cake or after?sorry so many questions,but i just dont want to mess this up.i dont need to do it until next month, but didnt want to wait till the last minute to ask.

THANKS!!

13 replies
martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 14

Bren28,

Good questions. I was wondering the same thing. I need to make a shower cake next month too and this would be a great one to make.

Please help us!!

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 14

ive never made one of these either but if i was i would probably bake the sheet cake, bake the belly and boobs and then put them all on top without dowling them and then top with the fondant. this is just my opinion, in my recent noahs ark cake this was quite tall but as each layer wasnt heavy i didnt feel the need to dowel and it lasted fine. If im wrong then at the very least it will help you bump your post!!! scuse the pun!!!! lol

rmbias1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmbias1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 14

I've made a couple of the belly cakes. I do any carving that needs to be done before I put the belly and boobs on the sheet cake. I also have found that, for me, it helps to lay the boobs and belly out and use a paper towel or wax paper to make a sort of template for the fondant that will cover it. Then I put them on the sheet cake, no extra board or dowels, and cover with buttercream and then fondant.
HTH
Michele

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 14

I think the decission to cake board or not is based more on the density of the sheet cake. The belly and boobs don't weigh much but i your base cake is dense you could probaaly get away without a bard and dowels. If your base cake is light, I would definately use both. When I made my belly cake, it was trial and error. I used a cake board for the belly and boob because the cakes were different flavors. Also, I didn't cover my base cake in fondant. I think I also doweled it (I just envision the cake on top and add the dowels around the edge of te top cake) because I did a Noah's Ark cake once without the dowels and the ark started to sink in the ocean base cake like the Titanic. icon_redface.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:34am
post #6 of 14

Hello, I've made several of these. I've found putting the belly and boobs on a board helps mostly just so you can take it off to cut the sheet cake underneath. I just put them on the cake board and then just draw outline around them and cut the board to fit. Never needed to dowel the cake as the cake on top are pretty light. I use a the large sport ball pan for the belly and the small wonder mold pan for the boobs. I crumb coat those before putting them on the sheet cake, but I put the dress on the body after it is on the sheet cake. I prefer to cover the sheet cake in fondant because I really mess the buttercream while doing this if that is what it is covered with. Hope this helps....good luck

BREN28 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 14

thank you all for replying,you've helped me so much!!

THANKS!! icon_biggrin.gif

drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 14

Just did my first prego belly and boobs this weekend.
So, I used 1/2 of a ball pan and then a swirly cupcake pan for the boobs. However I would not use that pan for the boobs again,a s one boob didn't have enough frosting and as my husband said ' it looked like a cinnamon roll!' UGH.
Anyhow, I used a board under the belly but not the boobs. Covered in BC first and then transfered to the larger cake and then used MMF.
Here is my pic if it helps at allicon_smile.gif good luck! Jen in CA
ooppsss. I posted the pic twice! Darn, I cant seem tp figure out how to get rid of it.. sorry folks..
LL
LL

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 14

I pre-made/shaped the belly and boobs and then placed them directly onto the iced cake. Laying the fondant over the adding my finishing touches. It was a 2" sheet cake. really no need for any extra support for the belly.

See in pink belly cake in my pictures.

They are fun to do......

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 14

I took my boob and bellys and placed on board. drew around it. Cut just slightly bigger than my cakes. this made one peice of board. Did my bottom cake. Let crust well, was buttercream. Then did place about 4 bubble straws, 1 under each boob and 2 for belly. Then buttercreamed the boobs belly, very lightly placed fondant. I wanted extra going down end of cake, so mainly smoothed top part, then placed on top of bottom cake. Finished fixing fondant. This was my first try, But I was very happy. My picture doesn't do it justice, it was a really nice cake. Just could not get a good picture.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:33pm
post #11 of 14

sorry ment to add, My cake flavors were two different kind. and by adding the board, made it easier for my friend to remove the top and cut both up easily. I am always trying to keep in mind how people are going to cut up the cake. Customer friendly, you know.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 14

I have done several of these. Through trial and error I have learned the easiest way for me is to put the belly and boobs on their own seperate cakeboard that I cut to fit the shape. I haven't ever doweled unerneath where it's laying and haven't ever had a problem. I ice all my cakes in buttercream so to ensure that I don't mess up my nicely smoothed buttercream and that I always get a clean edge on my belly/boob combo I place the fondant "dress" on the belly/boobs before I place it on the base cake. I then tuck the edges of the dress under the cakeboard before I place it on the base tier. I have messed up a few cakes in the beginning by placing the boobs/belly on first and then trying to place the fondant dress onto the belly perfectly. There are several in my photo gallery of the ones I have done in the past. The last one I did I think turned out the best b/c I've learned a little bit with each one that I do. This also helps when serving b/c you can just lift the belly part off and then it's easier to cut the base cake and the belly part! [/img]

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #13 of 14

I done two belly cakes, and do put separate cakeboards on them.

BREN28 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:58pm
post #14 of 14

thanks again everybody,i think i have an idea on how to start,lets just hope it turns out as half as good as all of yours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%