Started Cake With No Design Idea In Mind, What Do You Think?

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:24am
post #1 of 10

i had a class on stacking cakes and decided that i should use the cake from the class (did this monday) in a bridal show i'm in sunday. i'd like to get some feedback on what i have in mind. it's my first wedding cake and i want it to look balanced. going into it i didn't have a design in mind and for some reason i can't seem to make any decisions about it.

the picture below shows all i've done so far. what i'd like to do is put a small choc. fondant ribbon around top and bottom tier. the flower is just sitting on top of the cake but is not affixed so it could be moved. i'd like to put the words, 'love and adoration' somewhere on the cake. initially i thought in the middle tier against the dark choc. but am wondering if it would balance the cake better to do it on the bottom tier. and then do you think i should add more of these flowers and leave the one on the top?

do you think the blemish on the top tier that you can see in the photos should be covered with something?

thanks!
ashley
LL
LL
LL

9 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 10

I think the ribbon around the top and bottom would look very pretty! I would put something on the choc/brown tier. I think the work idea is good or you could do scrolls or something like that. Are you wanting to go with simple and elegant or with something more (for a lack of a better word) busy?

mom42ws Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 10

simple and elegant; i think that particular flower (from my sweet and saucy) is very elegant and i like the look of it. initially i thought the choc. band on bottom of the top and bottom tiers would look good with 'love and adoration' in white (or pink?) on the middle tier. i just didn't know if there was too much extra space on the bottom. should i add more flowers? and what do you think of the flower as is on the top?

ashley

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 10

I am so sorry! I didn't get back on here!! Hope I am not too late! I like your flower and love the idea of doing the writing in pink! That would tie in the pink in the flowe too. I don't think there would be too much white on the bottom. I think it would be cute if you added a few flowers randomly around the bottom base. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures!

mom42ws Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 10

charlie,
i finished it and tweaked it a bit. here is a photo. i used dark choc. fondant and the petals on the leaves don't show in the photo but they look like the white one. what do you think design wise? it's my first wedding cake.
LL

jadex77x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadex77x Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #6 of 10

very cute! i like it.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:26am
post #7 of 10

The final cake turned out very nice!
This cake could go very elegant or casual, it has a fem but also a masculine feel to it. Dramatic and inviting at once. Shows a bride what possibilities she has in design with you in my opinion.

For your next attempt at a wedding cake I will share a cake sister secret.
When I am in need of inspiration I look online at the most popular style of wedding invitations and utilize those designs to design a cake. Just google wedding invitations. You will be in shock from the amount of sites there are out there. With your talents you will go far!

mom42ws Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:47am
post #8 of 10

that's a great idea sweettooth!

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 10

icon_redface.gif No thanks required I just hope it helps you whenever you need it.
Your cake is gorgeous.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 10

wow! that's a dramatic cake. i totally agree. it's not too girly, but girly enough. i like it. icon_smile.gif congrats!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%