Flower Pot Woes

Decorating By TJCanadian Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm by TJCanadian

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #1 of 9

What am I doing wrong here? This is my 3rd flower pot and I can't seem to get it to look like a good crisp clean flower pot. I end up with rounded, squat looking pots.

How do you get it to have a good top edge and bottom tray so it looks right?
LL

8 replies
Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:20am
post #2 of 9

Is the cake layers all the same? I did a flower pot, you can see it in my pics, but pay no attention to the flowers please icon_redface.gif A little different than yours tho. I had my top layer bigger than the bottoms so that it stuck out just a bit to make that top ring. Fill free to PM me if you need to. I am definately not an expert, but I learn alot with it.

cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 9

I just started wilton class 5 last night and we made a flower pot and the top is a lot larger than the bottom like a upside down cone.Then the top rim goes above the end of the top cake edge to hold all of your dirt in.Good luck

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:23am
post #4 of 9

I would use a bigger top cake or you could carve it to make the flower pot shape.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:25am
post #5 of 9

I think you did a very good job, but my personal opinion is that for as big (wide) as it is, it should be quite a bit taller. I also agree with the others in making the top layer a little bigger the others to create the lip around the top of the pot.

TJCanadian Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 9

I tried making the top one a bigger around layer the first time I did a flower pot but the top layer just fell apart. Do you put a support just under that top layer then?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 9

Yes you could have the top layer on a cardboard cake circle cut to size.

Joyful1216 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful1216 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 9

My only flower pot experience is reading the article here, which I'm sure you've seen but on some extreme off-chance that you hadn't.... http://www.cakecentral.com/article46-Step-By-Step-3D-Cake-Sculpting-Baby-in-a-Flower-Pot.html

TJCanadian Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 9

If you fondant cover the cake upside down like that, how long do you let it dry? I tried that one of the first times too, maybe I didn't let it dry long enough but once I flipped it over, it kept peeling away. Lol, that was a fun night. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%