Need Advice On This Wedding Cake

Decorating By chefamanda Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm by chefamanda

chefamanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefamanda Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:15am
post #1 of 14

I found this cake several months ago on CC (almost positive that's where I found it) and didn't end up using any of the design, but I still had the image saved on my computer. Well, I had a bride over today looking at images and we both really liked this one. So, I feel like I should be asking the person who made this cake if it's okay to post this image, but I don't know who that person is (when I saved it, I didn't save it in "My Favorite Photos")!

So, with that said, I will go ahead and ask my question.
How much would you charge for this cake.
18" Square French vanilla cake- no filling
14" Round Chocolate cake with chocolate filling
10" Square Chocolate Peanut Butter cake w/ choco filling
6" Round Pumpkin cake w/cream cheese filling

Will be using Buttercream icing (not IMBC).
I make all my cakes basically from scratch. She will be providing the ribbon and there will not be any flowers (per her request) nor the initial on the top tier.

I live in the Phoenix area. I know it really can vary depending on location... it's not NYC but it's a city.
LL

13 replies
chefamanda Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:20am
post #2 of 14

I also estimated this would feed 300 ppl (took my findings from the Wilton website). Would you all agree with that?

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:29am
post #3 of 14

The photo of the cake is from Sharon Zambito at Sugar Shack. She is a member of CC. HTH

Carol E.

chefamanda Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 14

How did you find that info out? I just want to know so next time I can do it myself.

Do you have any suggestions as far as my actual questions are concerned?

chefamanda Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #5 of 14

BTW, I tried finding her profile here on CC and wasn't successful.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #6 of 14

Just look it up as sugarshack She is super sweet and helpful-I'm sure she'll give you any info you need!

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:00am
post #7 of 14

Stuttering post--Sorry.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #8 of 14

Pretty cake, you both have good taste! Post your price, if you don't mind, for reference. Thanks in advance!!! icon_biggrin.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #9 of 14

Just to clarify.... She's the infamous SugarShack of the awesome videos on buttercream, stacking, and fondant. You'll see lots of posts about those. (Personally, I'm saving up to get them and can't wait!)

Are you using Wilton serving guidelines to calculate number of servings?

Do you know the range of costs per serving in your area for cakes? (Can you contact bakeries, or view websites?)

What size pearls will you be using, and will you make those, or buy them already made?

Will you have a set-up and delivery charge?

What ingredients do you use in your cakes and buttercream, and how many batches will you need? Eg, shortening-based buttercream, or butter, etc.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:40am
post #10 of 14

That's about 250 servings using Earlene's chart (not counting the 6" tier). I charge $2.50/slice, so it'd be $625.00 in my world, plus delivery. I probably don't charge enough, though...

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:04am
post #11 of 14

as soon as i saw the cake.... i knew who the decorator was.... i have her videos also.... they are great... i look at her website all the time..... most beautiful cakes you ,ve ever seen.... she is really nice and sweet.... she will help you with your questions... don,t mind p/ming her.. i have before.. she answers right back.... hth it is sharonssugarshack.com

chefamanda Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:51am
post #12 of 14

Thanks everyone! I will def. be contacting her!!!
Thanks for those who gave their opinions on prices. Just to clarify, the bride and groom don't want to save the top tier, so it is included in the serving count.
I will post my final price so you all can see it!

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:19am
post #13 of 14

I charge $2.50/serving in WA state so for this cake and based on 300 servings it would be $750.00. I don't bake from scratch but use box mixes, so you would probably have to add more for special ingredients and delivery fee. Dana
www.cakekeepsakes.com

chefamanda Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 14

So I decided on a final price (after much deliberation!). I settled on $629. I based it per tier and flavor of the cake and filling. So, I priced it per serving, per cake (does that make sense?).

Anyway, I also considered that I know this couple personally, so I wanted to give them some sort of deal. I think had I not known them, I would have charged somewhere near $750.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%