Do You Have A "claus" Like This In Ur Contract

Business By HammIamm Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm by poshcakedesigns

HammIamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HammIamm Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 6

i was wondering how to word this type of senario in my contract. I am sure all of you do sketches of the cake your making for the wedding etc. but when it comes to acually making the cake, as the professional you may think it'd look better a slightly different way then when you had initally discussed with the couple. you know what i mean?

i would like to put a claus in my contract to the effect.. " i will try my best to replicate the design we had dissuced at your consultation, however as the cake designer, and from a professional stand point I may have to make slight changes to the design to better the out come of the cake... ????

does anyone know what i am trying to say?!!! please help with this wording!!!

thanks

5 replies
mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 6

how about this;

Although we ( customer and artist) have come to an agreement as to the physical appearance ( color and style) if it becomes apparent in the construction process that slight alterations may have to be made to ensure the stability of the creation- the designer reserves the right to make such adjustments.

is that what you need?

by the way, this is the first time I have heard of anyone adding this kind of measure, smart thinking to give yourself some wiggle room.thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mommachris

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 10:56am
post #3 of 6

i think it's a good idea. i'm terrible at designing cakes and have never drawn one out with a customer, but i do always verbally say to them that while we've decided on a design, that as the decorator i reserve the right to make adjustments as i feel are needed during the design process. they are always okay with that.

ashley

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 6

I saw the following in a contracts for wedding cakes:

"Designs & Colors: There are many factors which determine replication of a design â the availability of supplies, skills, health department regulation and the location of event. Handmade products will have variation from cake to cake, and this should be desired as each cake will be unique. However, we reserve the right to determine the level of replication and creative license. Some designs may be unwise and we reserve the right to make alternative recommendations.

Every effort will be made to provide as close of duplication to your design and colors. Icing color may have a tendency to change with time, humidity and heat. Darker colors may stain teeth and will have residual flavor. However, we reserve the right to determine the quality of the color match."

It's a very good idea to have such a clause in the event you have a "bridezilla". icon_twisted.gif

Cheers!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 6

Don't know if it's stepping out of my boundary or not, but my "artistic rights" clause includes the set-up of the cake table, inlcuding placement of the table, flowers, etc.!! thumbs_up.gif

I want that cake display to look great since it has my name on it, and I won't compromise my professional reputation with a poorly thought-out or dangerous table location or a lousy florist !

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 6

I actually do have a clause like that.

"The cake design will be based on above description and any other attached photos/clippings/drawing, or written notes. However, cake design is an art and no two designs are exactly alike. "

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%