Patchwork Cutters - Help!

Decorating By jdelectables Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm by debster

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 9

How do I use these? I purchased some letter ones and can't seem to use them correctly. When I make the imprint and pull up, then try to get the letter out of the rest of the fondant, it becomes misshapen. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help!
Julie

8 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 9

Are you using too much shortening on them? That's what happened to me. HTH

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 9

I pull the rest of the fondant up and leave the letter behind, let it dry slightly, and then VERY carefully pry up with a thin needle tool.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 9

Let it dry for just a little bit and it should come out easier too.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 9

Hi fellow Ohioan, where are you located? The trick to those is 50/50 gumpaste and fondant, roll out let it sit for a min then use the tappit dunked in some corn starch. That works for me, plain fondant stays too soft and does that for me also.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 9

jdelectables-

Here is a link to a video on youtube by aine2 from this site demonstrating how to do this. She makes it look super easy. Maybe it will help.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 9

I just took an 8 hour class with Nic Lodge and we used lots of the cutters. Nic says to put crisco on your surface so that the gumpaste sticks to your board then use the residual crisco left on your hands and rub that onto the cutters then press and your gumpaste should stick to your working board. If it comes out into your cutter try adding additional crisco to your board. Also I noticed that we used straight gumpaste not fondant with the cutters. good luck, HTH

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 9

thank you all! I knew I could count on all of you!

debster, I am in Medina, OH

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 9

Medina is an hour from me I have a cake for there Oct 11th I see your Jdelectables My daughter named me Delectable Delights By Debbie It's long but people love it...........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%