Air Brush - Create Glossy Finish

Decorating By ladybug76 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm by Loucinda

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 8

Hi!! Would anyone be willing to share how I would achieve a glossy (finish) shine on my cakes by using my airbrush? I heard once before about mixing vodka with luster (or pearl) dust, but I wasn't sure of the mixture amounts, etc. I have always been so nervous to try on a finished cake and time hasn't been on my side for me to just practice!!!
Thanks for any info!!
~ Jaime

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 8

You can buy an already mixed pearl luster spray for your airbrush. I can do it by mixing the dust into alcohol, but you run the risk of clogging the airbrush that way if the consistency is off.

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 8

i haven't tried this yet but two days ago i saw metallic airbrush colors by chefmaster i think, at our local supply shop. maybe that would do the trick? icon_smile.gif ...

bobbie

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 8

Americolor has come out with new Metallic lustre liquids for the airbrush this year.I have the pearl but there is also Silver,Gold and I have seen Red also!!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 8

Lucks makes great shimmer colors, has the widest variety of colors, and has just added black, orange and purple

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone for your help!!! Who needs to buy books, etc. when you have the best advice and teachers right here on CC!!!
~ Jaime

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 8

I have used the Bakers Preferred (from Bakery Craft) Pearl and the Americolor Silver (which is new) and both work great......brides love that pearl sheen!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 8

I have used the Bakers Preferred (from Bakery Craft) Pearl and the Americolor Silver (which is new) and both work great......brides love that pearl sheen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%