Raised/slanted Car On Top Of Sheet

Decorating By SANZ Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 1:45pm by DianeLM

SANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANZ Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 3

I'm doing a "Cars" cake this weekend for a 2 yr old. The sheet cake will resemble a checkered flag. The Lightning McQueen car, I would like to have not sitting directly on top of the cake but rather on a board, slanted so that it looks like it is sitting up. Any ideas how to do this? Thinking maybe hot glueing some cake posts into the back of the board and then just pushing it down into the top. HELP!

2 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:31am
post #2 of 3

That will work fine, or even without glue; put four dowels in, two short ones at the front of your ramp, two taller ones at the back. Maybe even a 5th dowel in the middle. Then use RI as glue on top of all of the posts before you put your car cake board on top. If the slant is mild enough you should not have to be concerned about any slipping. I did that for a "gift box" cake (the lid of course)...then again the lid was very lightweight.

Just another thought if you don't want to deal with gluing/constructing. Of course for the above idea I'd assemble on site, otherwise your idea might be more stable.

Just thinkin' out loud here!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 3

This is just like supporting the lid of a treasure chest cake.

The most secure way to do this would be to place your car on a board made of two pieces of 3/16" foamboard glued together. Before gluing, cut a 1-inch square piece out of the middle of the bottom board.

Drive sharpened dowels into the base cake and through the cake board where they'll be supporting the back of the car.

Drive a taller sharpened dowel into the base cake and through the cake board where the center of your car will be.

"Hook" the square cut-out onto the taller dowel, then rest the cake on the back dowels.

I have a diagram of this procedure (for a treasure chest) in a Word doc. Email me if you'd like to see it. eyedewcakes @ yahoo.com (remove spaces).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%