Candy Melt-Type Products: Am I The Only One?

Decorating By PinkZiab Updated 30 Dec 2014 , 11:50pm by sweetassugarcak

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:12pm
post #31 of 42

Me too! Well... dark chocolate or cake.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:04am
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

I see you are from NJ. Candyland Crafts in Sommerville carries the Merkels chocolate melts, if that is close enough for you to visit. They also do have a website to order online.

Where is this place?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #33 of 42

I don't mind the vanilla flavored melts from wilton but I don't really care for the chocolate flavored. I do get another brand at the cake store in Fargo when I go there and they're better than any wilton, I don't know the brand though.

I use melts because my kids like them and they're easy.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:37pm
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

Theresa-
Yes, but it doesn't have any cocoa solids, therefore, in my book, not real chocolate. Also, some people with chocolate allergies are able to eat white chocolate for this reason. icon_smile.gif

Allergic to chocolate would be HELL for me. I'm going on a road trip next week and making a big batch of chocolate chip cookies (the BF's fav) and chocolate butter cookies with cinnamon (my fav) to make sure we make it ok icon_smile.gif

The purpose of tempering chocolate is so that when it hardens, it gets that sleek glossy shine instead of a matte finish. To temper, you bring it up to a certain temp, then let it cool slightly - there's a couple ways to do that. You can actually buy a chocolate temper (temperer?) machine for home use but it's really pricey. You only need to temper chocolate if you're using it as a coating for something - you do not need to temper chocolate for something like ganache or as an addition to a recipe.

"Candy melts" are typically called that because they are chocolate flavored rather than containing real chocolate. You can also by couveture (sp?) chocolate which BEHAVES like a candy melt but contains real chocolate - they remove the cocoa butter and replace it with veg shortening so that it melts smoother, but it does have the cocoa solids. Obviously there's less of an "artificial chocolate" flavor to the couveture. It's also more expensive than candy melts and can be a little harder to find.

You do have a couple of options when working with real chocolate other than dropping $400 on a chocolate tempering machine, or getting really complicated or breaking out the instant read thermometer.

You always start by chopping up the chocolate to about chocolate chip size.

For one method, melt about 2/3 of the chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler. If you use the mic, melt on 50% power in 30 second spurts, stirring every time it stops. If you use a DB, make sure that the water is low in the pan and is not higher than a slow simmer - you do not want steam to get into the chocolate. Once your chocolate is melted, toss in the other 1/3 of reserved chocolate and stir until melted - this will bring the temperature down icon_smile.gif

Another method, one I use for dipping or drizzling, is to add 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil (you can use veg shortening as an alternative but not butter) to a pound of chocolate, then melt as above. The additional fat content helps the chocolate dry shinier and makes it a little more stable. However, the chocolate won't dry quite as "crisp" as regularly tempered chocolate.

And a great "hide" for imperfectly tempered chocolate dipped strawberries? Give it an extra drizzle of a different kind of chocolate (for color contrast) or a sprinkle of chopped nuts icon_smile.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:52pm
post #35 of 42

Do chocolate chips need to be tempered if I use them for dipping? icon_confused.gif
Sorry, I'm new to candy making. I would really like to try it though.

HerBoudoir Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:05pm
post #36 of 42

If you're going to use chocolate chips for something like dipping berries or pretzels or whatever, you will need to add the canola oil to them to make them work.

Chocolate chips do not behave the same way as bar chocolate does because they are coated in a thin layer of edible wax - that's why they keep their shape when baked.

I almost never use chocolate chips even for cookies - I prefer to chop up good quality bar chocolate (there's that chocolate snob thing again).

If you do want to use chocolate chips, try Trader Joe's ones - they're actually made by Ghiardelli but cost half as much as ones labeled Ghiardelli.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

Chocolate chips do not behave the same way as bar chocolate does because they are coated in a thin layer of edible wax - that's why they keep their shape when baked.

Exactly. Which is why it puzzles me that people buy choc fountains and think "oh, I can just use choc chips from the grocery" in them. My speech to them is, "Ever bake choc chip cookies? Ever notice how the chips are still a choc chip shape after they come out of a 350 degree oven? When working with a choc fountain, you want choc that will actually MELT!!!"

HerBoudoir Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:19pm
post #38 of 42

LOL well having spent a really LONG summer making chocolate dipped strawberries for a restaurant, I can say that chocolate chips WILL melt if you add some oil to them.

But you're absolutely right about using them for a fountain - they just don't work. I used to be the president of the honor's society in community college, and we had the culinary students cater an induction ceremony. The chef did a chocolate fountain, but apparently didn't think it through first - he used chocolate chips, and the chocolate "glopped" more than "flowed" LOL

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:21pm
post #39 of 42

Thanks! Told you I was new at this. So, I could dip what ever I want to in Dove chocolate or Hersheys? Mmmmm I love chocolate, especially this week. icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:31am
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

You can also by couveture (sp?) chocolate which BEHAVES like a candy melt but contains real chocolate - they remove the cocoa butter and replace it with veg shortening so that it melts smoother, but it does have the cocoa solids. Obviously there's less of an "artificial chocolate" flavor to the couveture. It's also more expensive than candy melts and can be a little harder to find.

This is absolutely wrong. Couverture us a high-quality chocolate that actually contains a HIGHER cocoa butter content than normal chocolate (around 32% cocoa butter in couverture) and absolutely requires tempering.

montrealkid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montrealkid Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 2:51pm
post #41 of 42

I use Chocoley.  It requires no tempering and I get raves all the time on the wonderful shine I have on my chocolates.  They have milk, dark, extra dark, white, and other supplies also.  I do not care for the candy melts either, the seem to get dull quite quickly.  Hope this helps.

sweetassugarcak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetassugarcak Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 11:50pm
post #42 of 42

I agree Wiltons are far from being similar to chocolate but saying that I don't actually overly mind them. 

Agreed they are very sweet...we use them for modelling candy clay for figure work and would choose the taste over fondant any day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%