Candy Melt-Type Products: Am I The Only One?

Decorating By PinkZiab Updated 30 Dec 2014 , 11:50pm by sweetassugarcak

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #1 of 42

Am I the only one that can't stand "candy melt" type products (wilton, or otherwise--some companies market it as "no-temper chocolate.")

Not bashing or insulting anyone who uses them--to each, his own--I just can't get past the taste! Doesn't anyone else think they taste like chemicals or hmmm, almost like old chocolate that wasn't stored properly lol. As much as I hate tempering chocolate (and I do! lol), I'd rather put that extra work in for the higher quality--of course my partner just purchased a small tempering machine, so my days of tabling and water baths are over! hehehe

So is it just me?

41 replies
Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:35am
post #2 of 42

No its not just you. Candy melts taste horrid! I take the time to use good chocolate. I won't make anything for someone else I wont eat!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:40am
post #3 of 42

merkens chocolate makes wonderful tasting candy melts ....i bought some from nicholas lodge when i went to georgia and took his 5 day class... as you know... he's the best!

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:43am
post #4 of 42

No!!!!! You are not alone. Candy Melts are the worst.

Jo

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:43am
post #5 of 42

I have to agree with icer101, I like Merkens, I only use it to make chocolate transfers anyway, I've never used it any of my cakes or icing but merkens is nice for piping.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:49am
post #6 of 42

For my tastebuds and opinion they don't taste like chemicals but are SUPER sweet to me. Too sweet. icon_biggrin.gif

I only use Merkens not Wilton, Wiltons is yuck to me.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #7 of 42

i prefer real chocolate, BUT i have the darndest time tempering it! it seems that before i made cakes, i would zap it like crazy in the microwave and it was always fine, then when i actually TRY to do it right, i cant get it. i admit, there are times when i run crying to the store for candy melts!

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:02am
post #8 of 42

I am not a fan either.
Too sweet for me also, and a little gummy, depending on the brand.

I have used them for piping/small details and for chocolate transfers, especially if I need a certain color, or can't find the white chocolate I like to use.

I have a friend who adores them though, and had me make 3 huge hearts out of them for his wedding, with writing for display (I thought) and then he spent the whole reception eating them.

To each their own I guess. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 42

I've tried a few brands and have yet to find one that I could stand. I'm definitely willing to try again with Merken's (I mean if it's good enough for Nicholas Lodge lol). I'll of course continue to use real chocolate for my handmade candies and things of the sort, but it would be nice to have a simpler alternative for some things, as long as they taste good!

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 42

I'm a huge fan of Merckens as well. I totally agree that Wilton's Candy Melts taste like @ss icon_lol.gif! I, of course, use the 'real' stuff for ganache and things similar in nature, but for cake bites, chocolate transfers, etc., I use Merckens!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 42

I see you are from NJ. Candyland Crafts in Sommerville carries the Merkels chocolate melts, if that is close enough for you to visit. They also do have a website to order online.

mimi2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi2004 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 42

Funcakes, Do you know the website for Merkel's chocolate. I can't seem to find it on the web.

Thanks!
Mimi

PinkZiab Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 42

Okay so I had a chance to try the Mercken's last night and I have to say, ummm, yuck! granted they don't taste AS bad as wilton or others I have tried, but they just taste so FAKE... I'll stick to tempering my own chocolate, because I just cannot get past the taste of candy melts.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 42

Ok, I'll say it.

I'm a chocolate snob.

Candy Melts are a no-no for me.

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #15 of 42

I was wondering if they tasted like chocolate... now i guess i know. I have never used them, but want to try some this weekend, to use as decorations for a cake. Can I add the candy melts to white chocolate to get colours... does that taste any better??

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 42

As President and Founder o the Chocolate Snob Club, I say WELCOME!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #17 of 42

Ok, I'll be the lone ranger here ... I use merkens and wilton all the time for mints, for molding, for my chocolate fountains, for dipping strawberries and cherries. I buy the white disks from my local cake supply store in the 10 and 20 pound bags. Maybe she buys a different brand other than wilton, but no complaints here. I buy Merkens choc disks in the 25 lb box.

Maybe I just have unsophicated taste buds or something, but they work fine for me.

I do use Ghiradelli choc for ganache.

I may be stupid, but I just can't figure out what the heck "tempering" is. Every direction I've ever read on it pretty much tells me to just melt it and let it get hard again. icon_eek.gif Prevents the "flowering"? icon_confused.gif Never had that with the disks so I'm not sure what I'm avoiding.

I'll volunteer to represent the blue collar taste buds! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:34pm
post #18 of 42

I'll have to join the blue collar taste buds club alsoicon_smile.gif I really like Merkens and I use them for everything. I think they taste really good. Although lately I have been having a heck of a time getting the colored ones to melt correctly. The chocolate and white ones are working fine, but the colored ones want to clump up on me. It has been driving me crazy!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #19 of 42

I'm a chocolate snob as well! I won't even eat any white chocolate, because it's not REAL chocolate.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #20 of 42

Debi -

I am also a Chocolate Snob, and I only use candy melts when the piece will not be eaten, i.e. a chocolate clay piece.

But I want you to know that if Merckens works for you, then by all means, use them. There are lots of folks who use them here, on CC, and from what I have seen and read, the only time they goof up for someone is if they don't make the chocolate clay correctly.

So, go for it, Girlfriend!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #21 of 42

toodlesjupiter -

I think you should know that most big named pastry chefs, when polled as to whether white chocolate is indeed, chocolate, will say yes, because it is made from the cocoa butter of the cacao bean.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

I just can't figure out what the heck "tempering" is. Every direction I've ever read on it pretty much tells me to just melt it and let it get hard again.

You are FAR from stupid. tempering is somewhat of a complex process that i didn't fully understand myself until I went to culinary school.

It has to do with the recrystallization and distribution of cocoa butter crystals. Without getting too technical, you have to melt the chocolate (but not over a certain temperature--depending on what type it is--(if it exceeds the max temp it'll never set properly), then you must cool it down below a certain temp while constantly agitating to recrystallize the cocoa butter (there are several methods to do this), then it must be re-warmed to "working temperature range" (which is, as before, different for each type of chocolate). When you re-warm it to working range, you melt out the less-stable undesirable crystals and only the desirable crystals remain. Then you hold the chocolate within the working range while using it so it will set properly and when it sets it should be shiny, have a good "snap" when broken, contract slightly, and have a higher melting point then untempered chocolate (does not melt instantly by touch).

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #23 of 42

Tara -

What's your favorite method of tempering? I seed my chocolate, as I do my sugarcraft from home, but at school I learned tabling. I love it! It goes so quickly for me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:58pm
post #24 of 42

Hey Theresa... I kind of like them all for different reasons. Tabling is just plain FUN, but it's really only practical (I think) for small amounts of chocolate (and I don't really have the space to table large quantities anyway). Seeding is definitely the most reliable, I think, and I probably use that the most, or I do a combination of seeding and water bath. Water bath I find to probably be the easiest, but like I said it's not as sure-fire as seeding, at least in my experience. And at least with seeding you don't have to bring the temp ALL the way down and back up again like you do with other methods.

PinkZiab Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:06pm
post #25 of 42

Oh and "flowering" is actually called bloom, and there are two types: Fat bloom or sugar bloom. They have nothing to do with tempering (although I gather that poorly tempered chocolate would have a higher tendency to bloom) but rather storage is the culprit.

Fat bloom occurs when the chocolate is store in too-warm conditions and the cocoa butter begins to separate and come to the surface.

Sugar bloom is caused by dampness/moisture on the chocolate, which is why you should never store your chocolate in the refrigerator (throw a hershey bar in there for a few days/weeks and see what I mean).

Either of these can also happen for quick, drastic temperature changes.

Chocolate storage is actually pretty important, but the reason you don't have bloom issues with candy melts is they don't contain cocoa butter.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:32pm
post #26 of 42

(lol) ....this is all so funny....

PinkZiab Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:44pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

(lol) ....this is all so funny....

¿Por qué?

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:54pm
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ok, I'll be the lone ranger here ... I use merkens and wilton all the time for mints, for molding, for my chocolate fountains, for dipping strawberries and cherries. I buy the white disks from my local cake supply store in the 10 and 20 pound bags. Maybe she buys a different brand other than wilton, but no complaints here. I buy Merkens choc disks in the 25 lb box.

Maybe I just have unsophicated taste buds or something, but they work fine for me.

I'll volunteer to represent the blue collar taste buds! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Where do I sign up to volunteer? icon_lol.gif
My melts of choice are CK Products - I think they taste fine.
icon_biggrin.gif

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #29 of 42

Theresa-
Yes, but it doesn't have any cocoa solids, therefore, in my book, not real chocolate. Also, some people with chocolate allergies are able to eat white chocolate for this reason. icon_smile.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:35pm
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

Theresa-
Yes, but it doesn't have any cocoa solids, therefore, in my book, not real chocolate. Also, some people with chocolate allergies are able to eat white chocolate for this reason. icon_smile.gif

Toodles, I refuse to eat white chocolate, too! And, although the label "chocolate" arguably may or may not apply to white "chocolate," I'd still rather eat dark chocolate than any other sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%