New Here.. Hello!

Decorating By lovexme Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm by sparklynne

lovexme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovexme Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 6

hi, i've been a lurker on this site for about a year now and i've never posted on the forum. i love coming on to look at the galleries and get inspiration for cake decorating as i'm not a very experienced cake decorator myself.
i was wondering if i could ask a question about fondant roses?
i'm making a few cakes soon that will be covered in fondant with the roses on top, arranged like a posey or rounded bouquet with some leaves (not very many).
i have done this kind of cake before and have usually used royal icing to make sure the roses stay in place, however, i have noticed alot of people make the roses on toothpicks. do these stay on better? and do you have the option of placing them overlapping some other roses and stuff more effectively than you would if you weren't to use the toothpicks?

some opinions on what other people find works best would be most appreciated.
thank you icon_smile.gif

5 replies
sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Lovexme and welcome icon_biggrin.gif ,
This is a fantastic place to join and the people here are amazing with their talents and expertise. I have not been a decorator that long myself and all my skills have been self taught or with the aid of the wonderful people here. As far as the roses go, I myself use cloth wrapped floral wire to dry them on however I have used the toothpicks. I have found that the air is able to circulate and dry them much more effectively by using the toothpicks/wire. I get nervous about putting a toothpicked rose into my cakes in case of splintering so I choose not to. I instead wire the ones I plan to insert into the cake and wrap the wire in floral tape before I insert them. I am sure there are others who can offer a better opinion than myself on this matter. Good Luck to you and welcome! Don't be a stranger icon_biggrin.gif

lovexme Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 6

icon_biggrin.gif hey! thanks for the reply and so quickly too!
yeah, the toothpicks splintering was what i was worried about most. i have used the floral wire for leaves before and i find they leave a really small hole in the cake which is fine, as i'd worry about the thickness of the toothpick lol
also, i imagine they'd provide much more height than the toothpicks, in order to place rose buds above and overlapping bigger roses etc, so the wire would work much more effectively.

thanks! icon_smile.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 6

welcome!!!!
i cant help in your question, but wanted to welcome you to your new addition! icon_biggrin.gif

lovexme Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 6

heey! hello icon_smile.gif
i was also wondering if using royal icing to stick down store bought crafting butterflies, would be a good idea, or if there was a more effective alternative? i know edible glue is an option, but i'm not sure how effective it would be.

thanks again!

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 6

I myself get a little bit worried about sticking things that are not food grade to my cakes. Alot of times if I want a butterfly I either make them myself out of gelatin and gum paste or if I really want to use an already premade butterfly I prefer to attatch them via floral wire using the same technique as the floral and am careful not to let them rest right on the cake. You just never know who has touched the crafters butterflies before you and where exactly they have been. Visions of factories and non gloved laborers loading these objects dance through my head. Not to mention the number of individuals in the actual stores that may have carried them around before deciding against them etc. They could have dropped on the floor etc. It is kind of scarey when you think about it. I know alot of people have found brilliant ways to make butterflies that are food grade safe. I believe there are some threads posted about such. I hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%