Red Velvet, Smbc And Fondant?

Decorating By Antgirl Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm by MissRobin

Antgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antgirl Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,
I've never made red velvet cake before but I have a request for one, in the form of a hat box cake, covered with fondant.
Can this be done? Is red velvet a fluffly cake or a firm one? Is it firm enough to stand up to this kind of construction/icing/fondant?
Do any of you red velvet pros out there have tips or suggestions? Favorite never-fail recipes?
Thanks!!

2 replies
projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 3

Sarah's red velvet cake recipe on this site is FABULOUS!!!!

You can use her frosting recipe or use a cream cheese icing, whichever is more popular where you live.

Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7027-23-Sarahs-Red-Velvet-Cake-TWEAKED.html

I find it to be a moderately dense cake, not super sturdy. You might want to do a practice first, I have never tried to cover it in fondant so can't answer that part.

Good luck.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 3

I have made numerous red velvet cakes and covered in fondant. Here is the trick, "The Icing"", the cream cheese can be very finicky, I use the crusting cream cheese on this site, it seems to work better that your regular cream cheese. The red velvet cake I make is pretty dense and is fine under the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%