What Is The Best Rolling Pin For Fondant?

Decorating By crazy4cupcakes Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 5:24am by crazy4cupcakes

crazy4cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4cupcakes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all,

I'm new to using fondant and I am taking Wilton Course 3. We need to use a rolling pin and believe it or not I don't have a rolling pin. So I just need some advice from experienced fondant users. What type of rolling pin do you use?

I've been looking at the regular wooden one with handles, Wilton all purpose rolling pin (plastic with handles) and the Wilton fondant rolling pin (plastic with no handles). I am guessing that Wilton fondant one would probably be best as it is non stick, but I'm wondering if it is a pain to use as it doesn't have any handles.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

11 replies
TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 12

I love my french rolling pin that I brought from Walmart it was not expensive made from wood its a little longer so its real good for larger cakes. I also use a silicon kitchen aid roller purchased from target . Both were economical and both work well .

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 12

I have an 18" aluminum rolling pin with handles and love it. The barrel is quite thick (maybe 4" (?)) - but the rolling pin is very lightweight despite the size.

I've seen others using PVC pipe cut to the length they want and it seems to work well for them; but I need the handles.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 12

I just use the regular wilton fondant rolling pin. I have not had any problems with it.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 12

I really like my french rolling pin. If you aren't familiar with them they are not flat, they get smaller towards the ends. What that does is allows you to change direction without lifting the rolling pin off of the fondant, it's sort of the same principle of the dyson ball vacuum cleaner. Its wooden and I never get it wet I just wipe it off with a clean kitchen towel. I also have the large Wilton fondant roller I usually use it once I get the fondant rolled out to the size I need to get it a uniform thickness. You can buy rings that go on the big Wilton rolling pin to help with thickness. I also have the small one form Wilton that came with the rings I use it for small stuff.

Jibbies

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 12

I use a length of pvc pipe from home depot... works as good as any non-stick rolling pin, and for under $5 I was able to buy several of varying lengths and thicknesses icon_biggrin.gif

I reserve my good wooden one for pastry and such.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 12

I use about four different ones, LOL. A french style for most fondant. I also use a bigger barrelled stainless steel one for big pieces. Then a smaller thinner silicone one for smaller fondant/gumpaste pieces. ...and then a small celpin too

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 12

I would recommend the one you are most comfortable using. I have and use my grandmothers wooden rolling pin alot. I like it because it has handles. I have the 19' WILTON fondant rolling pin, just does not feel as comfortable as grandma's. I fint the 9" wilton pin invaluable for rolling small pieces of fondant.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:10am
post #9 of 12

I like marble. I think the weight makes me not have to work hard icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:18am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I like marble. I think the weight makes me not have to work hard icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

I love my marble rolling pin, too!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:49am
post #11 of 12

I have a bunch of rolling pins. The best one I have is a Sil-pin, which is a heavy stainless steel one with handles and a silicone rolling surface. I use the small Wilton nonstick one a lot too. I have a wooden one that was fine for doing fondant before I discovered the others icon_biggrin.gif and a nonstick one I bought at the grocery store to see how it did, and discovered it wasn't quite what I needed.

I bought the Sil-pin at Ross, but I've never seen one there before or since (almost as though my Sil-pin and I were fated to meet, LOL ). Ross is a good place to buy marble rolling pins too.

crazy4cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4cupcakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:24am
post #12 of 12

Thank you everyone for your input. Wow, I didn't realize that there were so many types of rolling pins! I guess it is a very personal thing and I'll have to try a few out to get a feel for what works best for me.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%