My First Major Disaster

Decorating By PinkZiab Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 5:05am by dandelion56602

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:43am
post #1 of 6

Well I suppose it was bound to happen... a rite of passage, of sorts. I had a very basic, small 4-tier (12-10-8-6) wedding cake to finish friday night for a saturday delivery. As usual I started baking, etc. early in the week. It was filled & frosted. All I had to do friday night was square it off, fondant it, simple band and I was done.

So I pulled out all of the layers on a sheet pan since I only needed to square off I figured I'd pull em all at once to save trips in and out of the fridge. Squared em off in short order. On the way back to the fridge I slipped on something (still not sure what), totally lost my footing, hit my tailbone on a chair that was nearby, and lost the entire tray. The whole cake was on the floor in RUINS (nothing could be saved)... did I mention it was about 2:30am??

I was low on ingredients, so I had to go out to the supermarket and re-bake the ENTIRE cake at 3:00am, all from scratch--white cake, chocolate mousse filling & buttercream (I had some BC left, but not enough for 4 tiers. I was supposed to leave the house at around 9:00am to drive the cake out to PA.

Well I did it, but it was not up to my usual standards. I was in tears as I assembled this thing... I was embarrassed to even put this cake out and have people know I made it. Luckily it was a very low-key wedding, and I know the bride (the maid of honor, who was paying for the cake is my best friend). They were actually thrilled with it, and the later report (this morning) was that the cake was devoured--people went back for more and kept looking even after it was gone. Several people even asked for my number! I was prepared to give a substantial refund to my friend (even though this cake wasn't making me any profit to begin with, since I did it as a favor to her), but instead I wound up getting a HUGE tip! lol

Just proves that we are almost always our worst critics, and even when we think something might be a total disaster, others may not see it that way!

I'm still exhausted... i wound up napping in my car behind the venue for half an hour before driving home, since I had been awake for 34 hours at that point, and totally collapsed once I get back to my house. Let's hope I don't ever have to go through that again! lol (I'm laughing now, but oh was I a basket case when I had cakes in the oven, still, at 5am!)

5 replies
Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:50am
post #2 of 6

So glad to hear it turned it turned out ok in the end! I am sure it was great! Now show us the pics icon_smile.gif

Alicia

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:51am
post #3 of 6

Oh Tara, I'm so sorry to hear that things didn't go smoothly! You poor thing! At least your story had a happy ending though. Not everyone is that lucky.

I hope your back is okay and that you're feeling better - physically and mentally. Congrats on the turnout and the tip!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:53am
post #4 of 6

I didn't take any pics because I was so embarrassed by the cake I didn't want any reminder of it! lol Maybe i can get someone to email one to me. Now that I've had some sleep and calmed down I might see it differently lol.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:57am
post #5 of 6

I am so happy for you that it all turned out great. I have had many of those nights and the tears just keep coming. I only make ckes from scratch and totally know the feeling of desperation. (I am not good at taking pics before they get eaten!) Good for you for keeping your head high and getting done!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:05am
post #6 of 6

I thought I was the only one to stay up for over 24 hours (having dh come in at 6:30 & ask if I came to bed). Although I feel for you dropping the cake, my sympathy comes for your tailbone. I cracked mine last year skiing & still have pain---hoping yours is better soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%