Flower Cascades

Decorating By dynee Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 1:05am by dynee

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:41am
post #1 of 4

Being a rank amateur with no training and having tried to do a couple of gum paste or RI flower cascades that have a natural flow down the length of a tiered cake with limited success, I have been looking for a video that shows the actual application of the flowers on the cake. The part I have trouble with is the sides. I have tried straws to push in to hold the covered wire stems, but have had trouble with them tearing out the sides of the cake. What am I doing wrong.

3 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:00am
post #2 of 4

Why the straws? slide the flower wires right into the cake (keeping them long so the anchor themselves in) and sometimes use a dot of royal icing under the flower if I need to anchor it on the surface.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #3 of 4

Maybe your flowers are to heavy to begin with. I just posted an orange rose/white dendrobium orchid cascade cake in the gallery. I did put a few straws into the cake to help support just a few of the flowers. But if you make your flowers with paper thin gumpaste, they shouldn't have a whole bunch of weight to them.....

Sometimes it's best to place larger flowers where the ledge will help support them....

Hope I helped you out a little icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:05am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your suggestions ladies. Pink, all I know I learned from either books or here at CC. You know how there is sometimes conflicting information. It seems there has been controversy over whether or not the covered wire are food safe or not. But, what do I know????? icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%