New Bridezilla Episode - Cake For 150 For $100!

Decorating By Sweet-Dreams Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm by eme926

Sweet-Dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Dreams Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #1 of 18

LOL! icon_rolleyes.gif

Did anyone else catch tonight's new episode? I usually don't watch it, but I was flipping through the channels and I saw a wedding cake. Of course I have to investigate being the cake addict I am! icon_lol.gif

Tanesha (I think that was her name) and her groom already had a grocery store wedding cake ordered but they decided to go "more upscale"....a week before the wedding! She sets up a tasting with a bakery and goes over everything with the decorator. For 150 servings, delivery, and set-up the 4-tier cake she chose ended up costing $475. Not too bad. (especially last minute!)

The bride FLIPPED out and demanded to speak with the owner. He calmly explained that they would not go down on price and that the quality of their cakes is much higher than that of the grocery stores. She stormed out angry yelling how the bakery wasted her time and they weren't getting any other her money. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not selling my cakes yet, but I feel horrible that some of you guys have to deal with these people! Ugh!

17 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:39am
post #2 of 18

I saw it I'm glad the decorator stuck to his price I am so tired of people thinking these cake cost nothing to make I only do this as a hobby but people think the stuff is free and anybody can make a cake

Molly

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:41am
post #3 of 18

That is crazy!!!

But with all these 'reality' shows my money is that that whole scene was staged.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:49am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

But with all these 'reality' shows my money is that that whole scene was staged.

I would agree ... but staged or not, it's nice to hear that this message is getting out. Maybe people will start getting the idea that you can't go to an upscale decorator and get a grocery store price!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #5 of 18

I totally agree. You get what you pay for. If you want a grocery store cake then go to the grocery store. If you want a designer cake go to a cake designer.

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

...staged or not, it's nice to hear that this message is getting out. Maybe people will start getting the idea that you can't go to an upscale decorator and get a grocery store price!

Amen! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:40am
post #7 of 18

what makes her a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-Dreams

She stormed out angry yelling how the bakery wasted her time and they weren't getting any other her money. icon_rolleyes.gif

And this is truly what makes her a bridezilla!!! icon_sad.gifthumbsdown.gif

She thinks they wasted her time! icon_twisted.gif

All she did was make a phone call; show up and eat some free cake.......

The bakery had to bake, fill and frost a variety of cake samples; explain the cake and decorating options, booking process and pricing structure - and then endure a verbal beat-down!!!! icon_eek.gif

Oh yeah, the bakery really took advantage of her....... icon_rolleyes.gif

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 18

And eariler in the episode the couple was acting like they had plenty of money - saying what she wants, she gets. And she's going with grocery story wedding cake?

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 18

how funny. if a bride ever calls me and ask to make an appointment, and btw I'll have a camera crew with me for a show called "Bridezilla" I'm hanging up!!!

hope she doesn't choke on her grocery store cake...smile.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 18

i have found that most brides want everything for nothing. I quote them a price and i just stick to it!!! If they want a less quality cake from a grocery store then fine with me.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

what makes her a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-Dreams

She stormed out angry yelling how the bakery wasted her time and they weren't getting any other her money. icon_rolleyes.gif

And this is truly what makes her a bridezilla!!! icon_sad.gifthumbsdown.gif

She thinks they wasted her time! icon_twisted.gif

All she did was make a phone call; show up and eat some free cake.......

The bakery had to bake, fill and frost a variety of cake samples; explain the cake and decorating options, booking process and pricing structure - and then endure a verbal beat-down!!!! icon_eek.gif

Oh yeah, the bakery really took advantage of her....... icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL...you took the words right out of my mouth!

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:48pm
post #12 of 18

I just recently had a bride, her mom and the groom's mom come for a tasting. They wanted a cake for 300 people and only pay $400. You can't even get that at the grocery store. I think they were getting sticker shock everywhere they went. They wound up only getting a cake for 175 people. They were very pleased with everything.

Some people really have no clue how much time is involved in making any kind of cake. I live in a small town, so I guess people expect small town prices. Oh well!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 18

lets do the math on that. 300 pieces of cake....$400.00
that is $1.33 per serving....and you eat the tax and deliver it for free. can't see why people don't jump on deals like that.
geesh. they can't even order an ice cream cone from McDonalds for everyone at that price.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:10pm
post #14 of 18

That seems to be the whole problem. These brides watch all the shows about cake, dresses etc and think they have to have all that in order to have a wedding. A lot of brides just have no idea what those beautiful cakes cost.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm
post #15 of 18

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

*This is the emergency cake broadcast system. This is a true story about to be told!*

I ran into a former student from January this weekend after a class.

She, her future DIL and the DIL's mom took the class together to learn some techniques for the kids wedding this December.

Th bride was an absolute gem to have in class. Very well mannered and polite.

So I asked if they settled on a cake design yet and she said "yes and you won't believe it!"

She wants a very simple cake to feed less than 100. Nothing fancy, nothing jaw dropping, no grooms cake. No scrolls, no gumpaste, no fondant, no dots on the side, just a well baked and frosted cake.

The reception... just cake and punch will be served.

She said that it's called "if they can't afford it they won't have it and are keeping it simple" and both the bride & groom agreed to this when they started planning it.

They realize it's not about the dress, the cake, or the size of the event. It's about the vows.

Now guess how much of this wedding will be paid off before they say "I do"? 100% of it. No loans, no debt. Not one purchase for the event will go on a credit card, it will be paid in cash or they will just choose not to have it.

Can you imagine this??

Why can't all my brides over the years have all been like her!?

*back to our reguarly scheduled Bridezilla stories*

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:04am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

*This is the emergency cake broadcast system. This is a true story about to be told!*

I ran into a former student from January this weekend after a class.

She, her future DIL and the DIL's mom took the class together to learn some techniques for the kids wedding this December.

Th bride was an absolute gem to have in class. Very well mannered and polite.

So I asked if they settled on a cake design yet and she said "yes and you won't believe it!"

She wants a very simple cake to feed less than 100. Nothing fancy, nothing jaw dropping, no grooms cake. No scrolls, no gumpaste, no fondant, no dots on the side, just a well baked and frosted cake.

The reception... just cake and punch will be served.

She said that it's called "if they can't afford it they won't have it and are keeping it simple" and both the bride & groom agreed to this when they started planning it.

They realize it's not about the dress, the cake, or the size of the event. It's about the vows.

Now guess how much of this wedding will be paid off before they say "I do"? 100% of it. No loans, no debt. Not one purchase for the event will go on a credit card, it will be paid in cash or they will just choose not to have it.

Can you imagine this??

Why can't all my brides over the years have all been like her!?

*back to our reguarly scheduled Bridezilla stories*

This is the way that I got married. My grandfather was a green thumb and had a manicured lawn and beautiful gardens all over his yard. The end of the property in the back yard was woods. They set up an arbor and decorated it just for me. (They got to keep it and grew flowering vines on it afterwards.) We got married in the back yard against the woods and the gardens under an arbor full of flowers. Only family and close friends were invited and we had a reception which my family pitched in on for us. There was plenty of homemade food. It was at the Fire Dept. across the street where my cousin is a fireman. My mother paid for my cake, it was simple, but delicious. She knew a retired baker/cake decorator who did cakes from home who did my cake. My uncle is a pastor and he married us. We had a lot of love and help from family. Nothing was fancy, nothing was expensive. However, absolutely everything was beautiful and special and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Some things just cannot be bought with a price.

superca_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superca_girl Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #17 of 18

When I saw this episode I was disturbed by the bridezilla complaining about the Bakery wasting her time when all she did was show up and I bet the owner, who was sooo polite, did not want her $100.

eme926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eme926 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm
post #18 of 18

Funny, she is apparently local to me as I am familiar with the bakery shown. They quoted her the $475 (which she was appalled at) and she threw out the "I am only paying $100 at the grocery store.

Well, the grocery store (which they bleeped out) was/is Publix. They kept showing the blue cake with white piping, (Publix design) and I know for a fact that they would charge no less than $450 to $500 for that cake.

Just another tactic that the brides use to try to get something for nothing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%