Does Anyone Here Do Gumpast Flowers???

Decorating By JavaJunkieChrissy Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 2:36am by Sugarflowers

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:13am
post #1 of 9

Before I was away for several months ShirleyW was on here and was ALWAYS a wonderful help to me. I don't see her anymore. I sent her a PM and I've never received a reply. Does anyone know where she is...does she post any more???

I'm looking for help with gumpaste flowers and I've posted but I don't think that anyone can point me in the correct direction.

I'm looking for good cutter...that come with good instructions. I don't really want a DVD I'd like to have a book.

I know that someone out here has to do flowers. I've taught myself how to do all of the Wilton flowers out of their gumpaste book and to be honest with you I find them boring and lame......So, I'd like a better challange....can ANYONE help me on this or is there a board that just dedicated to gumpaste work?????

Thanks,

Chrissy

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:13am
post #2 of 9

Most cutters do not come with good instructions. The good books will show you the tools and cutters you need, then show you the construction of the flowers.

There are many excellent books. Nicholas lodge books are some of my favorites, and he has the tools on his website.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:30am
post #3 of 9

Jill Maythem put out a wonderful gum paste flower book with drawings of many different kinds of flowers and it is very helpful.

DVD's are terrific ways to learn and practice practice practice.

I have been lucky enough to take classes from wonderful artists that I have learned so much from.

I have a ton of cutters that didn't come with instructions and some that did.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:16am
post #4 of 9

Check out books by Alan Dunn and Lesley Herbert.

Alan Dunn demonstrates hyper-realistic flowers and is a little hard core, while Lesley Herbert shows how to make complicated forms in the easiest way. Both publish useful books.

Actually, looking at my bookshelf, I'd say you can't go wrong with any book on gumpaste flowers published by a Brit or Aussie.

Check out "Cakes in Bloom" by Anna von Marburg.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:41am
post #5 of 9

I, too, would recommend books by Leslie Hebert and Alan Dunn.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:54am
post #6 of 9

Scott Clark Woolley has great cutter and veiners.
He has a book also.
Alan Dunn's flowers are beautiful and you could go
off that as well.
I could of swore that Shirley W was on here a few
days ago. Goood luckkkk

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 9

I have to second Jill Maythem's book. It is mostly line drawings, but its very easy to follow directions and her cutters are reasonably priced that follow with the book.

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:44am
post #8 of 9

Thank you all so much for the help. I plan on looking into all of the books that have been suggested. It's come to the point that I enjoy doing the flowers more then I do the baking and decorating of the cake!!

Blessings to everyone,

Chrissy

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #9 of 9

I agree with the Alan Dunn and Leslie Herbert books. Don't forget about Nick Lodge. His books are great as well.

There are also some DVDs that can show how to use what you already have or even with no cutters at all. icon_smile.gif

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%