I Need A Good Firm Cake Recipe!

Decorating By spoazzy1 Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 10:07am by eatdessert1st

spoazzy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoazzy1 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 6

I will be doing a 1st birthday cake for my nephew and it will be a 3d cake. I have had issues in the past doing 3d cakes with the recipes I have. I need a firmer cake, almost like a pound cake recipe. Preferably marble since that is what they are requesting. I know someone out here has to have something I can use!

thanks in advance! icon_wink.gif

5 replies
lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 6

WASC it is firm and delicious. I also did a DH choc. fudge with an extra egg and 1 box choc. instant pudding and it was very firm.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 6

try the durable cake recipe here on this site

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 6

I have 2 that are pretty dense and carve well; both are delicious:

HTH,
Melanie Mc.

Butter Cake
Based on Sylvia Weinstockâs recipe
Fills (1) 12x3 pan or (2) 8x3 pans

2 ¼ C sifted cake flour
2 t baking powder
½ t salt
½ lb/ 8 0z (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
2 C sugar
4 large eggs
2 t vanilla
1 C sour cream

1.Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt

3. Cream butter in large bowl till fluffy and light in color, about 2 min. on Med. Speed.
Add sugar and conât to beat till light and fluffy.

4. Add eggs, one at a time; Add vanilla or vanilla beans.

5. Reduce speed to Low and add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream; beginning and ending w/ flour. Scrape sides of bowl and beat for 1 minute.

6. Bake till done: top should be nicely browned. Test for doneness with a toothpick- it should come out clean.

For this one just omit the lime stuff and add vanilla or whatever other flavors you'd prefer and bake it in your pan:
Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Lime Glaze

For best results, all the ingredients for this Bundt® cake should be at room temperature (about 70°F); none should feel cool to the touch. This can take about 2 hours for refrigerated ingredients. To hasten the process, soften the butter and cream cheese separately in the microwave at 10-second intervals, and place the eggs in a bowl of warm water.

3 1/4 cups cake flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
18 Tbs. (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
8 oz. cream cheese
3 cups granulated sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. finely grated lime zest

For the glaze:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3/4 cup granulated sugar

Confectioners' sugar for dusting

Have all the ingredients at room temperature.

Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 325°F. Thoroughly grease and flour a rose cake pan or a 10-cup Bundt® pan.
To make the cake, over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; repeat until blended and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until creamy and smooth, 30 to 40 seconds. Gradually add the granulated sugar and continue beating, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Increase the speed to medium-high and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl. Then beat in the vanilla and lime juice. Reduce the speed to low and fold in the flour mixture in three additions, blending each addition until just incorporated and stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the lime zest. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, making the sides about 1 inch higher than the center.

Bake until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and let cool upright in the pan for 10 minutes.

To make the glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice and granulated sugar until blended. Set the rack over a sheet of waxed paper, invert the pan onto the rack and lift off the pan. Generously brush the surface of the cake with the glaze. Let the cake cool completely before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving. Serves 16.

Flo Braker, Author, Sweet Miniatures (Chronicle Books, 2000).

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 6

eatdessert1st, that lime cake sounds delicious!

It calls for a bundt, have you made it in round cake pans? Do you know what size pan it would fill?

Thanks for posting, those both sound good!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:07am
post #6 of 6

Hey,
It makes a lot of batter.... it overflows my bundt castle pan from Williams Sonoma so it makes a bundt plus a whole pan of mini bundt cakes. I'm sorry I can't remember off hand how many cups of batter it makes. I've baked it in other size pans with great success. Just bake till a toothpick comes out clean. I've changed the flavorings to lemon and vanilla; it makes a really delicious firm cake. Easy to carve. I love the recipe icon_biggrin.gif
You can't go wrong with any of Flo Braker's recipes!

Melanie Mc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%