Running Monogram Help!

Decorating By cakechica27 Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 8:20pm by sparklynne

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 2

I need some tips on how to get a perfect running monogram on the sides of a square cake. (It's the classic script pattern: last name initial in the center, groom and bride's first initials on either side.) Do you use a press to get the letters perfect every time? They need to be uniform all the way around the cake (yikes). Does anyone have any experience doing this, or know where I can find a large letter press kit?

1 reply
sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 2

Hi Dorothy,
When I have done the Monogram on the sides of the cake I have done it by getting the script I want either online or in a program on my computer. You can even copy it out of a book of scripts. I then repeat the initials over and over again on my sheet of paper and then run a couple of copies of it. I tape it down to a cookie sheet and place a piece of wax paper over the top of it. I tape the wax paper in place so there is no slippage. I then pipe them out in a slightly thinned royal and let them dry. When dry I careful remove the tape and use a my palette knife to lift the letters careful. If you go to fast and end up with breakage it's ok because you have piped so many at one time. I usually do this in advance of the cake so that way I have plenty of time to get them done and protect myself in case of multiple breakage. Then I attatch them to the cake carefully using royal. As a finishing touch I brush them with some pearl shimmer to make them pretty.
Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%