Fondant Question From A Newbie

Decorating By Ashley72183 Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 3:34pm by superca_girl

Ashley72183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley72183 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 7

I've only made and used fondant once and I'm not sure it came out right. It seemed a bit dry to me but since I've never worked with it before, I'm not sure. I made MMF and followed the directions carefully....I wrapped it and used it the next day, kneading and rolling it out like the recipe said. It took forever to knead and was pretty hard even after microwaving for about 30 seconds total. It rolled out really easily and wasn't cracking at all but I was wondering what the norm is when it comes to consistency. What's it supposed to feel like? Play-doh? I read that it was supposed to be body temperature but I think I would have been kneading for hours to get it to that point.

I'm thinking I might have bit off more than I can chew. I'm making my son's first birthday cake for his party in two weeks and I'm not so sure I can do it now. Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Thanks,
Ashley

6 replies
Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 7

Welcome to CC!

Try adding some Crisco to your fondant to make it more pliable. It should feel like taffy when you are kneading it. It sounds like you may have added too much powered sugar.

Good luck and don't give up. It's easy and wonderful to work with. icon_wink.gif

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 7

I would say to try using some purchased fondant until you get the feel for the consistency and how to work with it. It will be easier to get your homemade fondant how you need it if you have a better feel for what it should be.

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with cakeladyem.......purchase some fondant to get the feel of it. Wilton fondant is readily available, & easy to work with. (but the taste leaves alot to be desired). Once you have played around with it you should have no problem with other fondants or MMF.
Don't give up....I love working with fondant!

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with the others. It sounds like you added too much powdered sugar. Try the crisco and see if that helps, but you probably should go ahead and try the wilton fondant. It doesnt taste great, but is readily available for you to practice with.

Ashley72183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley72183 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much for the advice!

superca_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superca_girl Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 7

I started out buying my fondant. You are a brave woman icon_eek.gif to make your own!!! Keep working with it and I agree crisco is your friend. Fondant gets easier with practice. Good Luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%